/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers after Infinity
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/1/01 7:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Volunteers after Infinity (SNoblitt)

: Well, we could do more than one scenario at a time...

: I nominate the following people to do the following scenarios: Randall Shaw -
: Seige of Nor Khor
: Candace Sheriff - Pfh' Jeouer (sp?)
: Bill Catambay - EMR
: Mark Levin - Operation Vengeance
: Ian - RED
: Borzz - Tempus Irae
: has - Trojan

What an original idea - having the authors walk us through their own scenarios. I think that they call these Spoiler Guides.

Seriously, I think it's clear that a lot of people have a lot of opinions regarding 3rd party scenarios. The only thing we can all agree on is the importance of the original Marathon Trilogy and, even then, many of us clearly were frustrated by Infinity the first time around. Mark Levin has done a superb job of tieing everything together.

As per my earlier post, I think that each scenario has something unique to contribute to the Marathon universe, and each has its own particular strengths and weaknesses. My overall favorite is Rubicon because of its polish, its playability and its adherence to the original Marathon story, even if it does go too far out on a limb regarding Bernard Strauss. I also like Evil a *lot*, and consider some of its levels to be the best of any Marathon levels, including those from Bungie, but it's ending is lame and dissatisfying. No creature, however, beats the devlin in the scariness factor, period. Tempus Irae is simply beautiful, but probably more in need of a volunteer effort than most of the other 3rd party scenarios. Marathon Red is perhaps the most cryptic of all scenarios, save infinity, but it's only tangentially related to the Marathon Story. And EMR isn't related to Marathon at all - it only uses it's game engine.

I would like to hear what other people have to say about this. Perhaps some sort of a straw poll. I would vote in favor of a volunteer effort for Tempus Irae next, followed by Siege/Evil, Rubicon and Trojan. After that, maybe Pfh' Joueur and Red. Beyond that I'm hard pressed to come up with scenarios that are worthy of this type of discussion - not that there aren't great ones in terms of game play - but the story element is either nonexistent, inconsistent with Marathon, irrelevant or too far from the Bungie universe to discuss here.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers after InfinityTim Frede 12/1/01 11:16 a.m.
     Hamish: Volunteers after InfinityRevolution_k 12/1/01 11:46 a.m.
           Re: Hamish: Volunteers after InfinityHamish Sinclair 12/1/01 1:02 p.m.
                 Sweet N/M *NM*Revolution_k 12/2/01 8:14 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers after InfinityAndrew Nagy 12/1/01 1:35 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers after InfinityMark Levin 12/1/01 2:04 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers after Infinityarchon 12/1/01 5:47 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers after InfinityMazilurik 12/1/01 2:01 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers after InfinitySNoblitt 12/1/01 5:22 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers after InfinitySteve Levinson 12/1/01 7:52 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers after InfinityMark Levin 12/1/01 8:47 p.m.
                             Vote 1 Rubicon *NM* *NM*Inverted Sock Puppet 12/1/01 9:58 p.m.
                                   Yay Rubicon! *NM*Rincewind MoG 12/3/01 11:56 a.m.
                             I agree with Mark 100% *nm* *NM*Grasshopper 12/2/01 9:10 a.m.
                             Re: Volunteers after InfinitySteve Levinson 12/4/01 10:25 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.