/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - Num
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/24/02 9:20 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - Num (Agent Shem)

: So is Kate real or metapfhor? I really can't figure that part out...We are
: told to look out for her in the Rubicon manual, but she is almost too
: mysterious.

Which is exactly the point - We may never know if the story of Kate is real or fiction, if it is taken from the marine's pre-cyborg past, or taken from someone else entirely. It really doesn't matter if Kate is real or not, but she is definitely being used by the Jjaro as a metaphore.

: So...a friend? Or was she a spy? There was that one term
: (Might be ascention factor, can't remember) where some guys
: are demanding the "formula" and Kate is with them.

And we'll revisit that part of the story in the Salinger Plank, too. Is she a friend? Most definitely, and in intimate terms. Is she a spy ? I'm not sure that spy is the right word. Is she a collaborator? Yes, and so are we.

: Did they really take his heart out? Was he a civilian cyborg before he was
: Mjolnir Recon 54? The famed Gherrit White term hints at that.

I'm not nearly the marathon historian that some here in this forum are, but my understanding is that we are a battleroid - a dead soldier reanimated and reconstructed wtih artificial components.

: Actually, both his eyes look pretty screwed. As are yours in the
: Numb level with all those helpful goodies. As are the "blind
: leaders of the blind". What do eyes mean? Why do we have all
: these frightening images of eyes? And what's with the hollow suit
: on that other dream term? Is that more blindness?

I wasn't sure what to make of the eyes - there are a number of possible meanings. I just felt that the man in the suit reminded me very much of the Bobs in M2/I with their one cybernetic eye. Given the earlier reference to Arthur Frane and his known connection in Infinity, I decided to go out on a limb. As far as the other sets of eyes looking down at us are concerned, there is some interesting discussion in this thread on links to Pink Floyd - something I was oblivious to. My own interpretation is that the Jjaro are looking down on us, much as surgeons look down on their patient as they are about to do their work.

: Nice work, Steve! I am emensely enjoying this Volunteer's discussion!

It's nice to hear that. Sometimes I can post several levels without getting a single response, so I never know if anyone is reading them. It's nice to hear that you're enjoying them.

Steve

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumbSteve Levinson 7/23/02 5:07 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumAgent Shem 7/23/02 7:14 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumSteve Levinson 7/24/02 9:20 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumYossarian 7/23/02 8:01 p.m.
           oh, and...Yossarian 7/23/02 8:27 p.m.
                 Re: oh, and...scott 7/23/02 9:08 p.m.
                       Re: oh, and...Steve Levinson 7/23/02 9:22 p.m.
                             Re: oh, and...Steve Levinson 7/24/02 11:00 p.m.
                 Re: oh, and...Steve Levinson 7/23/02 9:16 p.m.
                 Re: oh, and...Sean 9/20/02 7:10 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumSteve Levinson 7/23/02 9:05 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumScifiteki 7/23/02 11:19 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumInverted Sock Puppet 7/24/02 12:33 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - People Under Stairs - NumAgent Shem 7/24/02 6:34 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.