/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Species O' Pfhor?
Posted By: john zeroDate: 7/14/02 2:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Species O' Pfhor? (some guy)

: Excellent points. I was assuming they evolved from social insects because
: that's one of the few topics I'm fairly well informed about.

Given that the Pfhor are an alient species, however, anything goes where their natural origins are concerned.

There's basically two general schools of thought on SF alien evolution themes: One, everybody sentient is pretty much humanoid, or close to it, a la Star Trek (everyone remember the explanation for that?), which helps save on special effects budgets. And Two, aliens can be ANYTHING, and with that you get stuff like Bruce Sterling's 'Schismatrix', which has giant lizard merchants, sentient floating jellyfish from a gas giant, and some mysterious unknowns called the Hijack Boosters...

Drawing on these, you can reason that the Pfhor are more or less similar to Earthlike insects, but are not specifically insects. Makes it easier to build the story when you have themes to draw on, and then you can throw in variations to make it more fun.

: Perhaps the Pfhor's armor supports their exoskeleton in some way? Or perhaps
: they evolved some limited form of endo skeleton to support them. Or, maybe
: more likely, they implanted a kind of limited endoskeleton.

Except, you're basing that on the assumption that the Pfhor have chitinous endoskeletons like Earth insects, which I'm sure they don't. But yes, technology also has to factor in there, because the Pfhor have been cruising space and stealing tech from all over for millenia. There's no telling what modifications they've made to themselves, even to create new species. I'd bet that the Pfhor Fighters aren't even a natural form, and Hunters sure ain't. So arises the question, which ones are the Original Pfhor? Enforcers? Probably not even them. What was the backstory in Evil, again...?

: As to the social insects again, you can find some similarities

Including the way they use 'control glands', just like ants and other social insects use glandular secretions to communicate...

/jzero

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Species O' Phfor?some guy 7/13/02 8:43 p.m.
     Re: Species O' Pfhor?Steve Levinson 7/13/02 10:52 p.m.
           Re: Species O' Pfhor?some guy 7/13/02 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: Species O' Pfhor?john zero 7/14/02 2:59 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.