/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?
Posted By: Agent ShemDate: 7/10/02 5:39 p.m.

In Response To: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed? (Steve Levinson)

: In M2, the reason that we weren't destroyed along with the other 9 Mjolnir
: Mark IV cyborgs is that Durandal had abducted us and taken us far away
: from Tau Ceti. But in MI, that time line was a dead end and instead, we
: were abducted by Tycho. So why did Tycho sit by and watch 9 cyborgs
: destroyed and yet act to save us?

Did Tycho really destroy the 9 cyborgs though? Durandal said Tycho was a liar, and Tycho certainly wasn't capable of finishing the player off (i.e., we won the game!). I've liked to think that the 9 cyborgs went somewhere, perhaps assimilated back in with the humans and joined Blake, maybe? Wild guess. Or perhaps they were turned into slaves, not knowing that they were cyborgs: just that they could carry a lot of ammo in their pockets and burden the Pfhor High Command with some "technical difficulties".

Speaking of the cyborgs, my biggest dream is that Bungie will take the Halo engine or equivalent, and make a para-prequel to Marathon detailing the 9 cyborgs and the war on the Tau Ceti colony. Gaming tech is up to that kind of team-based warfare, and it could also have the elements of discovering who we are and meeting the other 8 cyborgs. (not to forget frequent chats with Leela and Durandal and Tycho) Of course, all the baddies would be souped-up graphically, but have them same familiar look. They would be much more capable fighters due to advanced AI. Yeah...

And then what would be cool is if the player, one of the 9 cyborgs, were to contact Leela, and she would tell us about what was going on starside in the Marathon! It would be like reading news reports about what we gamers have done. She could show graphs, and movies, and other details from classic Marathon levels, and the secret levels would be VidMaster M1 levels -- in full-bore Halo-esque graphics! Whoo hoo! With todays tech, and if Bungie had the time, they could port the entire M1 level set into the game as abonus feature to have when you've won the standard level set on a high skill setting. Maybe we could even see the Marathon from the ground, or visit it for some reason or other.

What do you think? Sound good? Marathon 4: Tau Ceti. I can't wait!!!

Shemus

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I never understood this...Ernie 7/9/02 5:51 p.m.
     Re: I never understood this...Tru7h 7/9/02 8:10 p.m.
           Re: I never understood this...[Tycho?] 7/10/02 3:29 p.m.
           7years!!!!!M-Class 7/10/02 3:56 p.m.
                 Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Steve Levinson 7/10/02 4:50 p.m.
                       Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Agent Shem 7/10/02 5:39 p.m.
                             Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Tru7h 7/10/02 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Inverted Sock Puppet 7/10/02 7:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Scifiteki 7/11/02 12:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Why wasn't OUR marine destroyed?Steve Levinson 7/11/02 5:43 p.m.
           Re: I never understood this...Djof 7/10/02 7:32 p.m.
                 Heh... well:Ernie 7/11/02 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: Heh... well:Tru7h 7/11/02 11:58 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.