/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . . .
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/3/02 11:17 p.m.

So what did we expect? We assisted that “vile creature, Durandal” in trying to destroy Tycho, but Tycho caught us in the act. What did we expect him to do, pat us on the back and let us go on our way? But the Jjaro gave us a second chance. While dreaming, they opened a door to another time line that could have put us in the right place at the right time to prevent the senseless slaughter of billions. And did we listen to them? Nooooo . . . So here we are in a Pfhor reconditioning center, better known as a prison. At least Durandal is going to try to rescue us (after all, he needs us to do his dirty work for him). But Tycho isn't making it easy, and all Durandal has been able to do is to spring us from our cell and give us some weapons. Now what in the world was the purpose of setting us loose in a Pfhor prison if he didn't have a means for our escape? Instead, he basically sends us on a killing spree. Why? One possible explanation could be what we’ll read on one of the terminals we’ll come across:

Captured ranking human "Commander Grant South" from UESC Chimera interrogation proceeding extremely slowly. Subject is resistant to Dangi-provided serum, and traditional pain based torture mechanisms will be resorted to within the next reprogramming cycle. This prisoner is a class-3 priority. Breakdown is inevitable.

So not only did Tycho manage to kill Admiral Carroway, but the Pfhor have also captured Commander Grant South, whose logs we read on multiple Chimera levels (even though we didn’t discuss them here, they made interesting reading). Our killing spree will at least, hopefully, slow down the Pfhor in their interrogation of Commander South, and perhaps give the UESC a chance to help him escape, too. Dangi-provided serum – does their ruthlessness know no bounds?

So here we are in a Pfhor prison with time and Pfhor to kill. This is a very complex level with many areas to explore. This is not an extermination level, so you don’t have to kill everything, but you do need to visit key areas in able to leave. These areas are labeled in the Spoiler Guide, but that’s no fun. Why not take the time to find them by chance, and marvel at the complexity that Chris Lund has wrought. There are a lot of secrets here, too, so be sure to check out my Rubicon Secrets Guide. This is a tough level that is very rough going at first, being a rebellion level, as you start out with virtually no weapons and 1X shields, and fighters trying to take you out. At least Chris removed the enforcers that originally graced the area outside your cell! You’ll soon be able to pick up some real weapons, however, and a 2X power-up that is essential to making it to your “safe zone” for the level. A secret 3X power-up is also nearby, and I suggest you use it now, as there’s a secret 3X recharger to be had later. Once you get to the top floor of the prison and clear out the compilers gracing the large room you’ll find, a pattern buffer and 2X shield regenerator will make the rest of the level survivable. Do look for that shield regenerator – it’s cleverly hidden.

There are many, many ways to approach this level, and I’m not about to spoil your fun by telling you how. At one point you’ll come to a terminal in which Durandal gives you a lesson on Pfhor design:

Aren't the Pfhor fascinating? I've noticed at least seven different architectural styles utilized in this station, all haphazardly attached to one another. . . It seems the Pfhor take and absorb the culture of enslaved races as well as their technology, calling into question if the Pfhor have their own style at all.No, I haven't managed to isolate the blockages on your teleport signal. I just thought you'd like something to keep your mind occupied with while you senselessly slaughter. . . Then again, my high cultural philosophies are probably lost on you.

Sooner or later, however, you’ll come across a terminal with the following message:

Rogue conditioned unit located, teleport to holding cell ISO-342.2A active.

You know what that means. The Pfhor have found you, locked onto you and are about to transport you to a holding cell. The holding cell isn’t exactly a safe house, either – there are many, many enemies here. Of course, you can always hit the escape key before being transported, but you will eventually want to explore this area – escaping from it takes you by one of the points you need to explore to leave the level. This level also introduces us to a new monster (not counting a potential deadly encounter in the secret level, Cow Pushing). According to the Spoiler Guide, but not explained anywhere in the game itself:

The s'pht revolt on the Marathon made the pfhor realize just how dangerous they really were. As a result, they decided it was better to use a genetic hybrid s'pht rather than the real thing - at least on Pfhor Prime. The resulting s'pht'wr (meaning "twisted s'pht" or "abomination" or something) are a combination of s'pht and pfhor. They fire small fast-moving guided projectiles and are protected by an energy shield.

Hmmm . . . Are we really going to buy that? Oh well, Durandal’s finally about to rescue us, and it’s off to Rozinante X and then Beg, Borrow and Steal in the Hindmost Creche.

Well, my wife is getting annoyed at the time I’m spending on this tonight, and I’m not sure what we’ll be doing for the July 4 holiday or the weekend, so it may be a few days before I get to another post in the Rubicon Volunteers series. But maybe not. In the meantime, your comments are welcome.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . . .Steve Levinson 7/3/02 11:17 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . .Inverted Sock Puppet 7/7/02 3:24 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . .Steve Levinson 7/8/02 7:14 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . .Inverted Sock Puppet 7/9/02 3:48 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - This Hurst Less Than . .Steve Levinson 7/10/02 8:14 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.