/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Jjarro at Tau Ceti
Posted By: NeutronBombDate: 2/21/02 10:56 a.m.

I've always kinda wondered about the map text on Never Burn Money "Jjarro were at Tau Ceti". It just dawned on me what that meant, although I'm sure you brainy people have known it for a long time.

The text, I think, refers to the other nine cyborgs who fought the Phfor ground invasion. If we go with the assumption that the cyborg were created using Jjarro implants (an idea which makes total sense to me), the military cyborgs could possibly be described as Jjarro, no?

Also, I seem to recall a bit of text, I think a quote from Greg K, in the "Miscellaneous tidbits" section, about someone being a failed Jjarro, or someone else becoming a Jjarro, or something similar. Could it be that with the Jjarro implants, a being is able to achieve "Jjarro-hood"? With the implants the player and Durandal certainly become something a great deal more powerful than they were originally intended to be.

It seems the S'pht also had the potential to become Jjarro. Although it is definatly a hard path to follow, and few would achieve the Jjarro state. S'bhuth might be an example of this. He seemed to almost achive Jjarro-hood, or maybe did, but then slipped, as is shown by the Infinity final screen. This would also somewhat explain the Yrro and Pthia myth of the S'pht. They may have been creatures of an unknown race who had achieved a Jjarro state, and attempted to pass this on to the S'pht.

One big thing that interests me about the Phfor invasion of Tau Ceti is the simple question, why? This is only slightly related to my previous post, but oh well. :)

The Phfor were slavers, sure, and they wanted more slaves. But if it was only that why both totally destroying the colony once they realized that the 9 cyborg down there were kicking their butts? Why not just leave? Pride, or something deeper? The Phfor already had access to Jjarro tech, and I think, they rightfully feared any other race gaining this knowledge as well. (the Hindmost creche, "of an intelligence so vast, it's actions seem to be insanity", to paraphrase a terminal text I can recall, could be an example of a Phfor-Jjarro)

When Durandal called out to the Phfor, he could have unknowingly (or maybe knowingly) also made them aware that he was built using Jjarro tech. Why else would the Phfor come? Why bother? I think they wanted to destoy Durandal and prevent him from becoming powerful enough to become a serious threat to their empire or the Hindmost Creche. When they realized that there were other Jjarro tech enabled beings on the Marathon, their mission only became more urget. Not only did they have to deal with Durandal, but also the 10 cyborgs and the other AI's.

To assert their dominace over the galaxy, the Phfor wanted to make sure that they were the only race with access to and control over Jjarro tech, and therefore, the potential to "acend" to Jjarro-hood, and become a being of imminse power.

I think.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Jjarro at Tau CetiNeutronBomb 2/21/02 10:56 a.m.
     Re: Jjarro at Tau Cetizudo 2/21/02 1:33 p.m.
           Re: Jjarro at Tau Cetizudo 2/23/02 3:58 p.m.
                 Re: Jjarro at Tau CetiNeutronBomb 2/25/02 1:13 a.m.
                       Re: Jjarro at Tau Cetizudo 2/25/02 3:12 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.