/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 1/3/02 9:42 a.m.

I've noticed that, when I die, not only do I have knowledge of the events that led up to my death the next time around, but often the aliens seem to as well. In other words, the aliens seem to anticipate my actions and play becomes more difficult with each unsuccessful attempt. Do the Pfhor have future knowledge as well? Have they been using pattern buffers, too? Do they have access to my patterns in the pattern buffers? Or is this all my imagination - simply a matter of chance occurances leading to progressively more adverse situations on occasion?

In gamespeak - is the Marathon engine adaptive? Perhaps the open source community could answer this one. Does Marathon learn from the player's mistakes and adjust the actions of the aliens to make it more difficult with each attempt? There is certainly a value in this, particularly on the higher difficulty levels, as it keeps the player sufficiently off-guard that they have to always think one step ahead of the aliens. Or is Marathon purely random?

Just curious . . .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Steve Levinson 1/3/02 9:42 a.m.
     Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?SiliconDream =PN= 1/3/02 10:10 a.m.
           Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Locucious 1/3/02 4:16 p.m.
                 Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Steve Levinson 1/3/02 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?SNoblitt 1/4/02 6:21 a.m.
                             Re: Marine a B&W•M 1/5/02 1:41 a.m.
                                   lol:)Tru7h 1/5/02 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Tru7h 1/5/02 11:45 a.m.
                             Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Boomer 1/7/02 7:34 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.