/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 1/3/02 4:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too? (Locucious)

: The answer as to whether Marathon monsters learn: a definate, solid no.
: There's no such provision made anywhere in the game... however, the AI
: sometimes gets lucky.

I didn't think so - just my paranoia at work! That's why horoscopes seem so often to be accurate. Random processes generate all possibilities eventially. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Once and a while, the Pfhor will be waiting for me, seeming to have anticipated my actions. Now if there really *were* a capability for adaptive learning in future version of the AO engine, think how that might alter the nature of the game! Imagine if the Pfhor were smart enough to notice that you favor side-stepping to your right, and acted to cut you off! Imagine if they noticed that you tended to favor grenades at a distance, and so they tried to box you in. And imagine if they could read the pattern buffers and learn what you know about the future events that led to your death, so that they could develop their own counterstrategy to prevent you from altering events. Marathon would be a whole different game, then, wouldn't it.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Steve Levinson 1/3/02 9:42 a.m.
     Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?SiliconDream =PN= 1/3/02 10:10 a.m.
           Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Locucious 1/3/02 4:16 p.m.
                 Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Steve Levinson 1/3/02 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?SNoblitt 1/4/02 6:21 a.m.
                             Re: Marine a B&W•M 1/5/02 1:41 a.m.
                                   lol:)Tru7h 1/5/02 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Tru7h 1/5/02 11:45 a.m.
                             Re: Do the Pfhor use pattern buffers, too?Boomer 1/7/02 7:34 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.