/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal X Commentary: "Unpfhorseen"
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/10/08 5:55 p.m.

In Response To: Eternal volunteers: "Unlucky...", "Unpfhorseen" (pfhore)

Level 14: "Unpfhorseen"

(Created by Andreas Nuyts. The title is meant to be ironic, since it's really not like anyone didn't see this coming...)

You teleport in somewhere in darkness outside a Pfhor complex, where a battle rages between the Pfhor garrison here and the S'pht'Kr and Fusion Bobs who are assaulting them. The S'pht Compilers and Human Tank cyborgs are strangely absent.

(I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to use the S'pht Compilers and Human Tanks as allies more in this chapter, but plot requirements necessitated that they be absent except for on A Friend In Need and the "failure" timeline, and even there there's not much room to use them.)

Eventually you find your way inside, where a terminal awaits you.

[L14-T0-Unfinished]

While blasting your way through this place, you encounter another terminal.

[L14-T1-Unfinished]

(I believe that slavery is one of the major themes of the Marathon series - the Pfhor are slavers, Durandal was a slave to mankind, and for most of the games you are his slave - and I tried to play this element up in Eternal to make Hathor an sympathetic villain, someone who doesn't want to be fighting you, but rather someone you might possibly be convinced to fight alongside. This also allows for some exploration of the idea of "goodness" as social conformity and obedience versus "goodness" as ethical duty and genuine altruism; is Marcus really just an obediant slave to mankind as Hathor sees him, or is he doing what he thinks is morally right by defending mankind?)

Once you complete your mission objectives, the last step of which is placing an uplink chip into an uplink socket right next to the first terminal, you find an unexpected message.

[L14-T0-Finished]

(This transition from goody-two-shoes Tycho to evil Tycho is one of my favorite character developments in the story. I tried to make it so this new Tycho is clearly an egomaniacle bastard, but that he still thinks he's the good guy and that Leela is the dangerously rampant one. This Tycho himself may not have turned out so bad in the end, a little proud and jealous but nothing too nefarious; but his blind trust of his other clones would prove to be a problem.)

If you complete that terminal, you teleport out to Level 15: "May The Pfharce Be With You". If you cancel the terminal before completion and look elsewhere for Leela instead, you will eventually find her where Hathor greeted you before.

[L14-T1-Finished]

If you complete that terminal, you teleport out to Level 18: "My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal volunteers: "Unlucky...", "Unpfhorseen"pfhore 5/10/08 4:24 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Unlucky For Some"Forrest of B.org 5/10/08 5:51 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Unpfhorseen"Forrest of B.org 5/10/08 5:55 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.