/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/8/04 5:16 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae? (Andrew Nagy)

: The first thing I found (using Google) was a link on Orbital Arm to download
: "Scenario MML Updates.zip". That package has M2, Evil, RED,
: Rubicon, Return to Marathon, and M1A1; but not Tempus Irae.

None needed as per above.

: A script for Pfh'J is available on its Big House site, but not on Orbital
: Arm. And you probably still need Infinity to install Pfh'J anyway. And now
: that I'm on the subject, I think you still need Infinity 1.2 to install
: Arx Immanis.

All of the old scenarios required an installer - this was a Bungie requirement since they retained intillectual property rights to the game engine and all original artwork, including the textures and sprites that were retained to a large degree in most of the older scenarios. With the release of the M2 source code and the acquisition of Bungie by M$, this has become much less of an issue and not even Bungie seems to mind, even though M1A1 is a blatant copy of Bungie's work.

: Are people still working on this stuff? What of the bug in TC19?

The Rubicon team is still working on Rubicon X, although Scott's work on redoing all the textures in high-res has essentially ground to a halt - a combination of a more extensive texture set than any other scenario and an artist who's standards are much more exacting than any one else's.

As far as the TC19 bug is concerned, none of the original scenario writers are in a position to work on it, but I found and posted that turning ambient sounds off seems to prevent the crashes I'd found. I strongly suspect a corrupted ambient sound and may someday try to look for it - perhaps in the next millenium.

: Other stuff seen in the Archives under "Big Scenarios" that could
: be converted to Aleph One: Erodrome, Hoth Preview, Black Series, Mill2.

We discussed Erodrome some time ago and someone was even willing to pay for an AO version. My suggestion back then was to use ResCompare to compare the Erodrome application to the original Infinity app to see what resources were modified and to then write an MML script to do the same thing. I don't know if anyone ever did this, however. Hoth should work in AO, although I've never tried it. The Black Series does indeed work quite well in AO - I've played it several times this way - it's an all-time favorite. Mill2 - hmm - I can't even get it to work in the Classic Envorinment of OS X. Mill2 is a very special case as it does not adhere to standard Marathon convention for file elements. I doubt that it could be converted, but who knows?

: Someday, someone should make an app to convert a patched Infinity app to a
: set of MML scripts.

The problem is that most patches are kludges and it may not be possible to make a universal converter that would work for all scenarios.

BTW, I just recently completed playing Trojan using AO. There are some definite rough spots but I'm still baffled as to why the creators are unwilling to let the community straighten things out and release a fully working Trojan for AO. For the benefit of anyone who wishes to try doing what I did, you can download both the Trojan for Windows installer and a copy of M2 for Windows, to which the installer can be applied. You need a PC or Virtual PC to run the installer, but the resulting files will work with AO with nothing more than a simple MML script to handle the appropriate file names. Throw in a copy of AO and you're good to go - Mac or SDL. The issues that I ran into were - 1) a very weird scenery object that crept into a variety of places that it didn't belong, 2) I could never get double shotguns, as the shotgun slot in Windows is the same as the fusion slot in the Mac version, 3) a number of 3X shield rechargers that are fully functional in the M1 version of Trojan do not work in the M2/Win version under AO (you may want to enable cheat codes just to cover this, and 4) some bridges that are supposed to lower themselves tended to stay up, making things a whole lot easier. There are also some map layout differences that make gameplay a bit easier, such as an extra pattern buffer on the second level, but for the most part the games are identical.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae? *NM*Andrew Nagy 8/8/04 12:31 p.m.
     Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?Steve Levinson 8/8/04 12:45 p.m.
           Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?Andrew Nagy 8/8/04 2:31 p.m.
                 Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?Steve Levinson 8/8/04 4:53 p.m.
     Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?Andrew Nagy 8/8/04 2:03 p.m.
           Re: Why can't I find a MML script for Tempus Irae?Steve Levinson 8/8/04 5:16 p.m.
                 Trojan on Aleph OneAndrew Nagy 8/11/04 10:53 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.