/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!
Posted By: REBDate: 4/7/02 12:32 a.m.

Here's the story:

Mother blames 'EverQuest' for son's suicide
April 5, 2002 Posted: 8:13 a.m. EST (1313 GMT)

By Fennec Fox

The woman, Elizabeth Woolley of Osceola, Wisconsin, claims that her son Shawn shot himself as a direct result of the 12 hours he spent every day playing the highly addictive online game. She said that Sony had refused to give her information about her son's playing habits, which she hoped would give some insight into his suicide.

"Shawn was playing 12 hours a day, and he wasn't supposed to because he was epileptic, and the game would cause seizures," Woolley said. "Probably the last eight times he had seizures were because of stints on the computer."

Although Woolley admits that Shawn had mental problems stemming from before he began playing EverQuest, she believes some social event that occurred in the game caused her son to go over the brink. She has hired an attorney and plans to push Sony to put warning labels on their games.

I belive the motive behind the suicide was the other way around: there was no social event. Why? Because the guy spent 12 hours a day in front of the computer. He had no life!

But seriously, he could have decided to verify personally if there's a God, after somebody told him on line there's not going to be a Mac version of EverQuest (are you taking note, Matt?)

Or maybe be spent too much time playing EverQuest because, after more than 2 years of development, there are still no networking on Aleph One Macintosh, and on a rainy november day, he look into the mirror with tears rolling down his eyes, and said to himself: "Even if I buy myself a Mac, I'm never going to play Marathon over the web."

Now that's something serious.

The lesson here, people, is not to never, ever lose faith. Even at the darkest hour, don't forget there's always a possibility that somehow, someday, somebody is going to step into the light an make it possible to play Marathon over the web (or at least fix the flashing HUD problem). This could happen the same day Halo is released for the Mac.

The Article at CNN.com/Sci-Tech

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!REB 4/7/02 12:32 a.m.
     Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!Johannes Gunnar 4/7/02 4:23 a.m.
           Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!zudo 4/7/02 6:40 a.m.
                 Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest![Tycho?] 4/7/02 10:22 a.m.
           Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!REB 4/7/02 8:46 p.m.
                 Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!D-M.A. 4/8/02 2:43 a.m.
                       Re: L33T social skills•M 4/8/02 2:00 p.m.
                             Funny ha haaa... *NM*D-M.A. 4/9/02 2:51 a.m.
                 Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!:: Beer Can :: 4/8/02 3:14 a.m.
     Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!Tru7h 4/7/02 7:53 a.m.
     Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing EverQuest!Tynskel 4/7/02 7:42 p.m.
     Hey, I posted this at HBO!Djof 4/8/02 7:53 a.m.
           A Guy Kills Himself After Playing Marathon!REB 4/9/02 1:01 a.m.
                 Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing Marathon!Boomer 4/9/02 7:14 a.m.
                       Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing Marathon!REB 4/9/02 8:46 p.m.
                 Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing Marathon!Alfred Mordeir 4/10/02 8:51 a.m.
                       Re: A Guy Kills Himself After Playing Marathon!REB 4/10/02 10:53 p.m.
     I THINK someones reading Penny-arcade. :DErnie 4/8/02 8:05 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.