/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Old Mac Emulation
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 11/8/23 6:09 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Old Mac Emulation (VikingBoyBilly)

Tangent on the performance of other old games:

Cosmic Osmo, the Manhole Masterpiece Edition, and presumably Spelunx have parts where it's evident nothing is capping the framerate so some interactive parts, like the arcade games in cosmic osmo, have much too high a framerate to be playable. Cosmic Osmo crashes sometimes, and from what I recall this was the case even on official hardware back in the late 90s. Otherwise they run fine.

Lemmings and Dino Park Tycoon have functioning sound!

Dinopark Tycoon has this weird bug in emulation that some of the navigation buttons are invisible, but they're still there. You just have to feel them out and remember where they are.

Music works in Hexen and Marathon but the playback is slightly faster than it should be. Mouselook input is also choppy as has been mentioned before.

A couple days ago I went to macintosh garden and saw a featured screenshot that I instantly recognized: System's Twilight! It's a game I thought I'd never see again because I forgot it's name, and it's so abstract it's easy to think it was just a dream. Seems to work without issues.

Trying to get Civilization II running is where I ran into some major emulation quirks. You need to mount the cd and set the emulator's memory to at least 1280 to not get a "type 2 error" trying to launch it. But it seems the higher the memory, the worse the performance. Quicktime videos chug and sound can't play until you hold down mouseclick (??). This issue seems to hold true across the system and all apps, not just civ2. You need to try to keep memory usage below 1024 for reasonable performance/sound playback, but civilization II won't let you play it like that. I read that turning off a bunch of extensions can help, but it really doesn't. You need quicktime and the extensions that let you capture input/file sharing to the emulator.

Weird thing is, the first time I installed civilization 2 with lower memory, it just... ran fine. Any attempt after that went down the gutter. It's an anomaly.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox Video *LINK*Tim "Mordeir" Branin 2/23/21 6:48 p.m.
     Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoSharkie Lino 2/23/21 7:01 p.m.
           Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoGodot 2/23/21 9:52 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoSharkie Lino 2/24/21 3:29 p.m.
           Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoVikingBoyBilly 2/24/21 4:40 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoSharkie Lino 2/24/21 3:32 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoGodot 2/24/21 10:01 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoLion O Cyborg 2/25/21 7:20 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoSharkie Lino 2/25/21 12:09 p.m.
     Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoGeneral-RADIX 2/24/21 2:30 p.m.
           Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoVikingBoyBilly 2/25/21 2:34 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoGeneral-RADIX 2/25/21 2:57 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoLion O Cyborg 2/25/21 7:44 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoVikingBoyBilly 2/25/21 6:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoLion O Cyborg 2/26/21 9:40 a.m.
                                   Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/1/21 4:29 p.m.
                                         Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 3/21/21 2:23 p.m.
                                               Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/21/21 6:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 3/22/21 4:36 a.m.
                                                           Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/22/21 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 3/23/21 7:42 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/23/21 8:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/23/21 8:12 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 3/23/21 3:31 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 3/23/21 4:59 p.m.
                                         Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 9/24/23 4:58 a.m.
                                               Re: Old Mac EmulationBob-B-Q 9/24/23 5:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 9/24/23 7:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: Old Mac EmulationBob-B-Q 9/25/23 7:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 9/26/23 4:33 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 10/1/23 3:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Old Mac EmulationIritscen 10/2/23 8:03 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Old Mac EmulationVikingBoyBilly 11/8/23 6:09 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Old Mac EmulationDurandal_1707 11/8/23 3:13 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoSharkie Lino 2/25/21 12:14 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon mentioned in Outside Xbox VideoGeneral-RADIX 2/26/21 4:40 a.m.
                                   Most "failed" media......Durandal_1707 3/1/21 4:30 p.m.
                                         Re: Most "failed" media......General-RADIX 3/3/21 9:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Most "failed" media......Bob-B-Q 3/4/21 7:53 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.