/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenar
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 5/20/23 12:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenar (Windbreaker)

I have completed the scenario.

These maps are huge.. There's no doubt in my mind they're all soaring past the 1024 polygon limit of the olden days. There were a few times I thought I was entering a new map, only to enter the other half of the map. I think, the only thing hurting these maps is the reuse of lh'owon theme textures. There are quite a few new graphics around, but what made Eternal, Tempus Irae, and Apotheosis X shine was the breathtaking new tilesets. Given some of the game's semi-spoilery themes (we're told pretty early on that istoria was a Jjaro outpost, and that's such a trope in marathon content it's not really worth calling a spoiler), this makes some sense, but couldn't the Mrrak be a little more aesthetically different than recoloring a Lh'owon door blue?

The PID-like systems were implemented nicely. Instead of crystals, we have a bunch of scientifically engineered spells to cast, but the yellow crystal does return and the player will be rewarded for engaging with conversations with the dead.

Regular ammo isn't much of an issue with the abundant Ammo Selector spell (this is a "spell" so I guess it functions by manifesting a material out of magic?), but this scenario demands careful spell management to have the right trick at the right time or you'll get bodied by hordes in unprecedented numbers and dexterity in a marathon scenario no matter how many guns you're firing.

Thankfully, this doesn't go the Wrath of Cronos route of scaling enemies' level ups with you. You just face stronger opponents as you get farther into the game, which is how it should be done in an RPG system (or any game, really). At least, as far as I can tell. I can't really tell if my weapons are getting significantly stronger than they were before and that's probably a good sign that the system isn't broken.

SPOILERIFIC PARTS OF THE REVIEW (highlight to reveal): The reveal that there's a w'rckncacnter on the moon sounds like it sould be predictable, but the delivery of this scenario's narrative was done so well that I didn't see it coming until the right moment that it should dawn on the player. Nice stuff (though your random cyborg character probably doesn't have any idea what the thing is, except it's very very bad).

Near the end, the energy can scarcity is relieved and I was able to stockpile a suspiciously large amount of them. This, of course, is to prepare the player to run all the way back to the beginning through legions of pfhor on a time limit. This is an intense climax, but it has one problem: all pattern buffers get disabled. You have to make the whole trek back on one life or back to the start to Try Again. This is a big ask from the player. Sullivan was kind enough to drop a bunch of black holes on your path (I guess he did that before your insubordination if you chose to defy him), but it was still a pain to see it through to the end t get a text crawl of victory. Is the cyborg's death in 3 years preventable by some secret i didn't find, or is that the best we can do for our hero?

This should be added to the list of "must play" scenarios if that still exists on the aleph one site.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenario *LINK*windbreaker 4/30/23 5:24 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/1/23 7:27 a.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarDuckNextDoor...InChina 5/13/23 4:13 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarWindbreaker 5/16/23 9:42 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/13/23 4:29 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/15/23 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarWindbreaker 5/16/23 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/20/23 12:52 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarVikingBoyBilly 5/20/23 1:03 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon: Istoria - A new Aleph One RPG scenarW'rkncacnter 5/20/23 1:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.