/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 10/23/15 9:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story (Hokuto)

: Also, I don't see why you would think Oryx be the player character from
: Marathon?

I don't think that, but that would be the interpretation if the Marathon "connections" in Destiny are real.

http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/enemies/books-of-sorrow/xxxiii-when-do-monsters-have-dreams

There's the link to the grimoire card "When Do Monsters Have Dreams" a pitiful play on the title of "Where Are Monsters In Dreams", and if you read the grimoire card you'll see it's written in the same style as the dream narrative that begins in "Where Are Monsters In Dreams". So, the way it comes off is as though the writer was like, "Hmmm, Oryx is having a trippy dream sequence as he communes with pure Darkness, I guess I'll arbitrarily copy the dream sequence from Marathon."

However, if you don't take it as arbitrary and you take it as a real connection then what this implies is that since the grimoire card is being narrated by Oryx that Oryx is essentially the same character as the narrator of Marathon's dream levels (whether that be Durandal, the player character, or whoever). Then in the last grimoire card, the writer has Oryx mimic the "eat the path" dialogue from Marathon, which again, if it is a literal connection, suggests that Oryx is essentially the same person as the narrator of Marathon's dream levels.

Then the very last line of the last grimoire Oryx says, "If I fail, let me be wormfood," which seems like a reference to "You're Wormfood, Dude" the name of a failed timeline in Marathon. And the title's statement "you're wormfood" is directed at the player character. So, by having Oryx say "i'm wormfood" suggests that Oryx is essentially the same person as the player character.

But like I said, that doesn't really make sense, doesn't fit, and I don't believe it because I don't think those references are actually connecting the universes. However, if the references are actual connections then the above paragraphs would be a correct interpretation.

Of course everyone is welcome to speculate however they want, but I don't think they're part of the story even though they're in the story.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

They Lost the Thread of the Storypoena.dare 10/20/15 7:22 p.m.
     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/21/15 1:58 a.m.
           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/21/15 4:24 a.m.
                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/21/15 8:12 a.m.
                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/21/15 9:52 a.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMartin 10/21/15 12:07 p.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the Storypoena.dare 10/22/15 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/22/15 3:20 p.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/22/15 9:33 p.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/22/15 5:55 p.m.
                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/22/15 5:55 p.m.
                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 8:46 a.m.
                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 12:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 2:41 p.m.
                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryHokuto 10/23/15 4:14 p.m.
                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/23/15 6:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/24/15 6:37 a.m.
                                                                             Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 7:48 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryGodot 10/24/15 7:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:03 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMatt 10/24/15 7:38 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/24/15 9:28 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/24/15 9:33 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/24/15 9:34 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:32 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 1:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDurandal_1707 10/24/15 2:00 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/24/15 2:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDeChief 10/24/15 6:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the Story *LINK*Dispatcher 10/24/15 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryDispatcher 10/26/15 5:21 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/25/15 4:24 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryGodot 10/25/15 6:41 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryLion O Cyborg 10/25/15 8:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryMartin 10/25/15 12:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryBob-B-Q 10/25/15 9:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: They Lost the Thread of the StoryPhiltron 10/25/15 2:01 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.