/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. For
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 8/14/13 2:29 p.m.

In Response To: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. Fortune (Martin)

: TOUR OF DUTY

As I said in the emails, I would advise switching from Impact to Bank Gothic, just for the sake of style.

: On the raised cross shape in the middle of the room, the Pfhor fighters we
: know and love are busy fighting against the native F’lckta of Lh’owon. The
: green variety – they throw rocks, much like the PiD Ghoul, although they
: look more like the Headless!

I agree they act like the Ghouls of PiD, but as for the Headless, I'm not seeing the similarity. Also, I really have no clue what it is they're throwing: it looks a little like poop, but I have no honest clue. Any ideas?

: Much better than the spoiler guide map, thanks PS. This properly shows that
: most of the level is covered in at least some sewage, and it helps with
: memory while not playing. Fun that the letter markings on this map are all
: to do with the main secret ... so we’ll come to those later. Now we head
: up the staircase and around the corner, where we enter the sewage pools
: and get more rocks thrown at us. The shotgun is fun against F’lckta!
: Grenades are dangerous around water/sewage, as they are solid surfaces!

First off, I noticed there was a terminal in the bottom left corner of my map; not sure if this was a mistake on my part or if you just missed it when you were taking screenshots of the terminals.

Second, the Shotgun is indeed fun against F'lickta, but don't waste it! You want it for later! Instead, I usually just hose the baddies on this level down with the AR, using Grenades when it's fairly safe and I'm up against F'lickta or groups of enemies.

: I actually liked the M1A1 addition of the second
: fist, especially given that the UI does say "Fists", but hey.
: They allow us to take out the F’lckta with no resistance.

Actually, having a second fist doesn't do anything special: you still punch at the same speed. This is why Jim Mitchell never pulls up the second fist; it sure feels good, but it's extra hassle to tap that second key (assuming you're not using the mouse, which he isnt') and it doesn't do anything special.

: In fighting them on Windows,

Speaking of Windows, there's a few changes to this level in the Win95 version. The most obvious is that the first staircase is a set of platforms that must be raised with a switch next to the first terminal (thereby forcing you to read it, whereas many newer players on Mac probably failed to find that terminal because they immediately went left instead of taking a detour to the right.

Also, in the room with the island, a bunch of Drones will ambush you - I don't remember this happening in the Mac version, though M2 isn't really my strong suit, so maybe I'm just forgetting something.

: Unlike the
: magnum, the fusion pistol sounded better in M1, especially the glassy
: sound on hitting the wall, but never mind. The new one looks fantastic
: though, especially with the high resolution images, mmmm, although I still
: don’t like the fact that they made the assault rifle graphic taller on the
: screen than it used to be.

After really using it a bunch in M1, I must say that it simply felt and acted better there than in M2: the sounds were better, and above all, the shots seemed to travel faster.

: The sounds are also at a higher pitch, things are sped
: up? And it will never end – they’ll still be fighting at the closure!

PiD junkies might think things are sped up here (I'm referring to the TURBO command), but in fact, Marathon just has a special setting in the physics for the pitch of a monster's sounds - this affects the sounds specified in both the physics model and the shapes file. This is why Major Fighters sound a little different from Minors, or why some of the Compilers on Eat The Path sound like mice.

: As I said re Ingue Ferroque, and not even with this info in mind, Durandal
: really did help us out in the end, in M1, even if it wasn’t exactly on
: purpose. At least this is some of that tru 7 h we’ve been looking for:
: Durandal’s motives, check; how it all really helped humanity, check; that
: we are not human, check. Wait, what? A line that could so easily have been
: missed, at least in its significance, in a terminal that could easily have
: been missed, as it wasn’t logical to come back here ... perhaps shall we
: say not the last time that ending up back at the start leads to “success”?

Your discussion of 'saving humanity' doesn't make much sense until you factor in the second page of this terminal, which you failed to show:

Also, "that we are not human"? Where does this come up at all on this level?

Vale,
Perseus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. FortuneMartin 8/14/13 1:36 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForPerseusSpartacus 8/14/13 2:29 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForMartin 8/14/13 2:42 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForPerseusSpartacus 8/15/13 7:45 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForMartin 8/15/13 10:36 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForPerseusSpartacus 8/15/13 10:46 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. Forjonny 8/15/13 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForMartin 8/15/13 11:39 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForPerseusSpartacus 8/15/13 11:43 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForGodot 8/15/13 11:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. Forjonny 8/15/13 12:03 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForAntarctico 8/14/13 2:45 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForMartin 8/14/13 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForAntarctico 8/14/13 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. Fortreellama 8/14/13 3:29 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForGodot 8/14/13 11:03 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. ForMartin 8/14/13 11:15 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - The Slings & Arrows of Out. Fortreellama 8/15/13 4:17 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.