/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Watch Your Step, potions, speculation
Posted By: EarthtopusDate: 2/20/12 2:07 p.m.

I've been studying Loren Petrich's map sectors and playing around on Watch Your Step with a Pale Violet potion. It's still fiddly map-staring delight, but I'm making some progress. Enough to self-justify a "progress report" or whatever these are.

comp.sys.mac.games and the PiD page--and even the hint book don't talk about the red and violet potions much beyond general effects. Fortunately, I am here with a day off, a stopwatch, sitting on a level with predictable damage.

My results:

The Bubbling Red slows everything that happens in the game by half for one minute--that is to say, you get two minutes of relative haste to pack into a minute of unpaused gameplay. This effect extends across physical level change (but not teleporters).

The Pale Violet is more of an ablative shield than a time-sensitive thing, negating the next 100 damage you take, also effective across physical level change.

Theoretically, then, if you take less than 100 damage it would last until you step in a teleporter, which could get you from game start to Warning: Earthquake Zone still intact. There appear to be four unavoidable pods (at 20 damage each) on the level, where all available walking paths are hemmed in by either triggers or pods. I've found running over the pods first and then quickly hitting the lizard trigger still works to deactivate the trigger, but means I don't get hit. This allows the creation of backtrackable space, which works the other way around but at the cost of triggering the lizards and taking hits. On my way down in my main game I took five Lizard hits because I was doing it the wrong way around. Had I known then what I now know about Watch Your Step and the Green Oozes, I would be sitting in front of the final boss with 40 damage instead of 59. Live and learn!

I've digressed; these are the areas you have to trigger something (and you're better off making it a pod first).

a) to get away from either ladder

b) to get at and then away from the Green Crystal

c) to access the right wing with the bomb (make sure you equip the Green Crystal early or you'll be fumbling around here)

d) the one the bomb is in, duh!

Outside of these, the center of the level is relatively free, (if you have interest in getting to the save rune)--both sapphires are obtainable without further hits. This then probably cannot be accomplished without at least one rest period, or, failing that, a single Pale Violet the game has not seen fit to provide; a red would make it easier (as Skitters shoot quickly and dodging is hard when you're avoiding certain floor tiles) but wouldn't be sufficient to avoid damage, as the problems are built into the floor.

I've done it with a pale violet--sort of. I've gotten the sapphires and bomb with three pods as my only damage and the green crystal by itself with two, but the first cluster in each case was the same (straight ahead out of the east ladder). So those are quite likely combinable into one run of four.

-Andrew

Open question about the map sectors: what are the "Other Trigger" rooms in an ammo detour on Lock & Load, the Pipes room in Ascension, and the Ghast area behind Barney in Warning: Earthquake Zone?

Oh, and for Hamish:

I'd already dodged the projectile and it was heading for the wall behind me; silly game not knowing I was in no real danger.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Watch Your Step, potions, speculationEarthtopus 2/20/12 2:07 p.m.
     Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationMrM12LRV 2/20/12 2:20 p.m.
           Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationMrM12LRV 2/20/12 2:25 p.m.
           Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationEarthtopus 2/20/12 2:33 p.m.
     Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationGodot 2/20/12 2:44 p.m.
           Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationEarthtopus 2/20/12 2:58 p.m.
                 Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationGodot 2/20/12 3:03 p.m.
           Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationHopper 2/20/12 4:03 p.m.
                 Re: Watch Your Step, potions, speculationGodot 2/20/12 11:46 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.