/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: S'pht Royalty
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 12/7/06 2:41 p.m.

In Response To: S'pht Royalty (MrHen)

This may not be what you were looking for in responses - I haven't any more data that what you have gathered, but you have a lot of good data I was aware of in forming this theory - but here's why my take on the Royalty has been.

The S'pht are naturally (as natural as a designed being can be) structured into a collective consciousness. What the Pfhor had going when we met them was a Pfhor-based cyborg controller at the center of the S'pht consciousness. The Pfhor controller commanded the S'pht to act in a certain way and the S'pht did so, but against each of their individual wills. This makes me think that there is something like a government of the mind going on, with a central dictator that can forcibly control all of his subjects, but the subjects still have wills of their own and can resist to a limited degree, but not much.

When Durandal had us kill the Pfhor controller in Marathon 1, he became the new hub of the S'pht collective. But unlike the controller, he coordinated things in a way that the S'pht collectively approved of. They worked together. Durandal was a benevolent dictator, loved by his people.

Durandal and the Pfhor controller were both serving the role of the S'pht Royalty. Before the S'pht's enslavement, they had something else serving that central, coordinating function. I imagine that these things were probably biologically S'pht, but perhaps with different cybernetics. In Eternal I've kind of fudged this, having S'bhuth (the Royalty of S'pht'Kr) appearing to us more like an AI; but I'm careful never to deny that he has a physical body, which I imagine he really must have.

With regards to the breaking of the clans, I imagine that originally the overmind of the S'pht was Yrro himself, seeing as they were created as his servants and all. Then when he left he entrusted lesser beings (suped-up S'pht) each to a small portion of the S'pht collective, creating the eleven clans.

The "failed Jjaro" bit I took in context of the Jjaro-as-humans-who-became-AIs-and-later-ascended story. (As I've mentioned before, an ex-Bungie person who shall rename nameless once related to me Jason Jones' story of the Jjaro, as it factored into an early Halo plot at least). S'bhuth would be a failed Jjaro inasmuch as he is a living organism, bonded to machines, mentally far beyond any other organic beings, but he's not a full-fledged Jjaro yet. He's a cyborg with AI-like mental properties; imagine if Durandal were running in the player's mind, that the two of them shared one mind, and in addition to controlling a physical, cyborg body, he/it/they could still interface with other computer systems exactly as Durandal does - existing in cyberspace and meatspace simultaneously. That is how I imagine S'bhuth, and the other S'pht Royalty.

(Another interpretation of the "failed Jjaro" bit is in the context of Jjaro-and-W'rk-are-the-same-kind-of-beings, which is not something that I was told but something I invented. S'bhuth, upon coming to the point where he could have been a Jjaro, "joined the chaos he had sought to evade" and became a W'rkncacnter instead).

The one bit that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense is this "we know the mind must exist because the body exists" bit. And the fact that the S'pht clans reform after the return of the S'pht'Kr. Is it possible that somewhere out there in the Pfhor empire, the Olders still exist, themselves enslaved by the Pfhor, or somehow repressed, to let the Pfhor controllers order around their local groups? And why does the return of the S'pht'Kr suddenly allow the clans to reform? Is that happening just at Lh'owon, or all over the Pfhor empire? I could understand the local S'pht joining under S'bhuth's rule as their local controllers were destroyed, but... where are the other other Olders?

Maybe the Royalty do not have physical bodies at all, but are distributed AIs running across the network of individual S'pht minds? An emergent collective consciousness. But in what way do some S'pht unite into one collective and other S'pht unite into another - why wouldn't all S'pht have a singular collective consciousness emergent from them all? There has to be some sort of focal points for individual S'pht to rally around into distinct collectives, otherwise all S'pht would just be of one collective mind, and no Clans would exist.

I think this is a good topic you raise, and worth further discussion.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

S'pht RoyaltyMrHen 12/7/06 10:17 a.m.
     Re: S'pht RoyaltyForrest of B.org 12/7/06 2:41 p.m.
     Re: S'pht RoyaltyFrungi 12/7/06 5:53 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.