/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Nice 'n Tidy Infinity Theory
Posted By: IcarusDate: 11/17/06 9:38 a.m.

I had posted concerning the plotline of Infinity in an earlier thread, and it was interesting to read the opinions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like many people feel that the ending to Infinity, and time travel plots in general are too hard to work with and still make a decent story. I think the plotlines of M2 and infinity can easily mesh together and create a solid and definite ending for the story. Here's what I think starting with the end of M2/beginning of infinity.

1. (On the original timeline) Thoth, a S'pht'Kr (read: jjaro influence) AI is reactivated and calls the S'pht'Kr who return to fight the Phfor. Defeated, the Phfor use the trix-sun-blower-upper thing and make the sun go nova. This act of stupidity releases the chaos being from its prison. Durandal finds an abandoned jjaro station in the system that could potentially help, but he finds it too late and everything goes to hell.

2. (During Infinity) Due to the influence of the chaos being which "defies the laws of physics" time and space become fractured. The player is then sent through a variety of parallel dimensions and different timelines to find a way to stop the chaos being. I believe that this has nothing to do with the player being somehow jjaro or a jjaro-cyborg etc. Instead I think that because Thoth IS for all intents and purposes a jjaro AI he is conscious of the fracturing of time/space and therefore able to send the player on his alternate universe escapades. This explains, in my opinion, everything (why thoth terms are at all the crossover points and in all the dreams, why the player is able to jump from timeline to timeline, why after every failed attempt thoth switches you to a different universe.) Plus this fits with thoth's role of trying to keep everything balanced (read: orderly as opposed to chaotic).

3 (Grand Finale)In the end I believe that Thoth realizes that the only way to reactivate the jjaro station and stop the chaos thing is to impart that knowledge to Durandal BEFORE its too late. So Thoth takes the player back to the original universe but back in time where thoth merges with Durandal. Thoth-Durandal then activates the station and saves the day. This could easily substantiate the ending screen of M2 and also explain how Durandal gets his hands on a jjaro dreadnought. The infinity ending screen, i believe is far in the future at either the end of the universe or durandal-thoth's escape from it. The "grafted to machines your builders did not understand" says simply to me, why you (the player) were the strongest of the original cyborgs, and why you have been able to accomplish all the feats you have. You are destiny is in my opinion metaphorical rather than literal.

So there you have it my version of events, no paradoxes or godlike-players. Simple and in my opinion easy to build off of. Criticism would be appreciated.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Nice 'n Tidy Infinity TheoryIcarus 11/17/06 9:38 a.m.
     Re: Nice 'n Tidy Infinity TheoryForrest of B.org 11/17/06 3:36 p.m.
           Re: Nice 'n Tidy Infinity TheoryIcarus 11/17/06 4:37 p.m.
                 Re: Nice 'n Tidy Infinity TheoryFrungi 11/18/06 12:52 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.