/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Caution: Halo Speculation
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/16/06 6:09 p.m.

In Response To: The Escapist gushes over Marathon (Evil Otto)

: Cool article on Marathon, 11 years later.

The sidebar in that article about the Haunted Apiary made me think of something.

The rampant AI (so-called "Melissa") from the Haunted Apiary ARG was a UNSC ship's AI that went rampant and sent signals back in time after the activation of a mysterious alien artifact in 2552.

I may be incorrect, but I believe that's the year that the Halo games take place in.

In the Halo 3 teaser trailer, one of the broken messages from a now apparently rampant Cortana (a UNSC ship's AI) says "I know you. Your past. Your future." Right before the activation of a mysterious Forerunner artifact which - come on, we all know what it does - activates the remaining Halos and destroys all life in the galaxy.

How exactly is it that Cortana knows your future?

As I recall, the third game in a previous Bungie series involved a cataclysmic Very Bad Thing happening at the beginning, followed by a decent amount of time travel instigated by a disappeared ancient alien race, all of it attempting to prevent that Very Bad Thing from happening.

I also recall that when the plot details of Halo were finally released and shown to be incompatible with the timeline we know from Marathon, everyone kept saying that that was the death knell of any Marathon-Halo connections unless Halo somehow featured time travel that might alter that timeline. Alas, it seems that Halo features no time travel.

...or does it?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Escapist gushes over MarathonEvil Otto 5/16/06 10:46 a.m.
     Re: The Escapist gushes over MarathonAndrew Nagy 5/16/06 11:06 a.m.
     Caution: Halo SpeculationForrest of B.org 5/16/06 6:09 p.m.
           Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationJohn Denton 5/16/06 7:45 p.m.
                 Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationForrest of B.org 5/17/06 6:11 a.m.
                       Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationJohn Denton 5/17/06 7:10 a.m.
                             Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationForrest of B.org 5/17/06 8:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationJohn Denton 5/17/06 9:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationAndrew Nagy 5/17/06 12:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationForrest of B.org 5/17/06 1:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationAndrew Nagy (wrong computer) 5/17/06 4:31 p.m.
           Re: Caution: Halo SpeculationVid Boi 5/17/06 12:07 p.m.
     Tis old, I fearBob-B-Q 5/17/06 6:03 a.m.
           Re: Tis old, I fearHamish Sinclair 5/17/06 10:37 a.m.
                 Re: Tis old, I fearthermoplyae 5/17/06 11:17 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.