/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: S'pht exoskeletons
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/17/06 4:30 p.m.

In Response To: Re: S'pht exoskeletons (LegacyTyphoon)

: When Durandal first tells you about the S'pht in M1, he's talking about the
: ones you see in the game (I believe...), so the post-conquest S'pht.

Right; that much is clear. Durandal is talking about the Compilers. The question is, were there Compilers of that form before the Pfhor conquest, or did the Pfhor make all their S'pht that way? And inside the compiler, is there just little organic goo somewhere, or is there a full-sized S'pht body like we see in the M2 terminals?

And if the Pfhor built the Compilers, why is a Pfhor scientist in an Infinity terminal conducting experiments crushing them to see what they're made of and how they work? Shouldn't they already know? Unless the technology is not their own, and only the S'pht understand it (and as the S'pht "birthing process" involves bonding to their mechanisms, as per M2 terminals, it would follow that if S'pht 'naturally' reproduce under Pfhor rule, the same way they did on Lh'owon, then they build their own mechanisms still).

: In M2, if you read some of the terminals the S'pht have written, they
: describe some "Surgical Procedure" that the Pfhor have done to
: the S'pht they have captured that replaces their sensory organs with some
: kind of device created by the Pfhor.

It took me forever to get it, but that terminal is actually a gag - the S'pht historian writing it is misunderstanding a Pfhor beating and executing a S'pht. They tried to make several incisions with their knuckles first (punching), before giving up and inserting the small object (a bullet) with the long instrument of insertion (a gun) through the skin (shooting him), resulting in complete sensory organ displacement (they blew his brains out). In my opinion that's almost the epitome of Bungie humor.

: Those pics you see in M2 of the S'pht floating on those ugly metal pod
: things, are pre-conquest S'pht.

Right, that much I understand. What I'm wondering is, do they have any other exo-parts besides the metal pod things, as they natively live on Lh'owon? And if so, can they get into and out of these exosuits (for lack of a better term), or are there different castes of S'pht - warriors, hax0rs, etc - with different cybernetic forms, ala Defenders and Compilers, which are permanently in those forms?

: As for the Defenders (I'm assuming you're talking about the S'pht that have
: the giant circular face mask, they float, and have the shield when they
: get hit right?) are S'pht inside a "battle-suit". There's
: another terminal in M2 that describes all this when Durandal first tells
: you not to shoot the S'pht because they're on your side now.

Yes, but is that battle-suit permanently attached to them the way a Compiler suit is (I imagine) attached to the little bio-goo part of a Pfhor-enslaved S'pht, or can the biological creature inside that suit get out? And in either case, did the ancient S'pht have battle-suits like these? That's what I need to figure out.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

S'pht exoskeletonsForrest of B.org 3/17/06 10:02 a.m.
     Re: S'pht exoskeletonsLegacyTyphoon 3/17/06 10:31 a.m.
           Re: S'pht exoskeletonsForrest of B.org 3/17/06 4:30 p.m.
                 Re: S'pht exoskeletonsBlake37 3/18/06 2:35 a.m.
                 Re: S'pht exoskeletonsVid Boi 3/19/06 11:23 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.