/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Quick Poll
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 6/8/05 10:35 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Quick Poll (Ori)

: It seems like Eternal became a big unorganized mess when you decided to
: re-vamp. I just had no idea what was going on and basically withdrew from
: the project, because no one asked or ever seemed to know anything.

When was this? After Mark V, when Eternal X was starting?

I never really 'decided' to revamp. That had been the plan all along. Get the first five Marks done, just to get something DONE. Then spend as long as needed making it as close to perfect as possible. That has meant, for the most part, that I'm not doing much of anything myself besides textures, interface, term picts, and other such graphic arts, and tweaking bit of the maps. I'm leaving the things I suck at - mapmaking for one - up to people far more qualified than me. I don't mean to be insulting, but your mapmaking skills seem more down around my level, which is why I never really got back to you. I'm not very good at turning people down :-(

: Make out a summarized 'needs to be done' list and try to get some
: organization going, then more people might come back again, if they have a
: specific task to complete.

Organization was what drove away a lot of people during the earlier development. Schedules, to-do lists, specified tasks for everyone... it made the whole thing too much work and a lot of people quit. Most of the earlier Marks got done because I constantly bitched and screamed at everybody and then when they didn't come through with the goods, pulled something out of my ass overnight and said 'good enough'. Which it's not, and I don't map any better taking my time than I do pulling an all-nighter. I need people like Don and Adam and Goran to make really, truly good maps. Which is why Eternal X exists.

I've got a perfectly good to-do list for Eternal X. You wanna see it?

All maps need to be looked at by people more skilled than I am, and revised or replaced as needed. Presently, levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, and 12 are "done" with this process. Level 1 and the Failure Dreams (7, 17, 27, 37, and 47) are mostly done but may need further revisions. The prologue and epilogue, the Success Dreams, and level 6 are presently in progress, as is (theoretically) one of the Ch3 levels.

Some of the textures could still use revision. I'm in charge of that, and it happens whenver I get feedback from a mapmaker. However, we need somebody more versed in Anvil and it's CLUT wackiness to import the lores textures into the Shapes file without looking fugly. Goran used to do this, but he's on hiatus.

We need someone to model three new monsters, new Player sprites, and new weapons. Maarten ("•M") Tromp was working on one of the new monsters but I haven't heard from him in a while. I was going to do the weapon sprites myself but my old Maya skills don't seem applicable to any of the free 3D programs, and I really can't afford Maya. I've probably forgotten most of it by now anyway.

Something that I need the most is just someone who can make Anvil fscking WORK! Physics, sequences, CLUTs, and so on. It's a big, fuddled mess and I can't deal with it. Various monsters are buggy, I want to get some more monsters from M1 ported over but whenever I try to do it myself things just get buggier, the weapons will need tweaking for the new sprites (and there's a new weapon entirely, too).

At some point, after I finish revising all the terminal texts and reformatting them for the new term pict logos (which is something I should actually get started on soon, I'd forgotten about that), I'll need someone to make more interesting, artistic term picts, so that they're not all just maps and logos. Anaphael was going to help with this but he seems to have vanished again.

I had planned for a lot of music. I've been reconsidering that lately, both because 52 tracks would make the large version of Eternal X (the "Extended Edition", as opposed to Standard [medium] and Limited [small]) more like the Insanely Huge Please Order Me On DVD version... and because none of the three musicians I had lined up except Craig has made anything. (Though Blake37 from here has stepped up and made some interesting samples that could possibly go somewhere).

I think that pretty much covers it. Lots of mapping, but most of it revising or replacing existing maps. New weapons and a couple monsters. Maybe more music, and some terminal picts. Lots and lots of hax0ring and tweaking shit with Anvil that I cannot and never have been able to deal with. And that's it.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Quick PollScott Noblitt 6/8/05 5:17 p.m.
     Re: Quick PollKyjel 6/8/05 5:41 p.m.
     Re: Quick PollSteve Levinson 6/8/05 6:37 p.m.
     Re: Quick PollRyokoTK 6/8/05 6:46 p.m.
     Re: Quick PollForrest of B.org 6/8/05 7:56 p.m.
           Re: Quick PollOri 6/8/05 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: Quick PollForrest of B.org 6/8/05 10:35 p.m.
                       Re: Quick PollD-M.A. 6/9/05 6:05 a.m.
                             Re: Quick PollAdam Ashwell 6/9/05 8:46 a.m.
     Re: Quick PollYossarian 6/8/05 8:14 p.m.
     i say Escape 3!!! :) *NM*Johannes Gunnar 6/9/05 3:10 a.m.
     Re: Quick PollSteve Levinson 6/9/05 7:34 a.m.
     Re: Quick Pollgoran 6/10/05 3:22 a.m.
     RED 1.1Steve Levinson 6/11/05 10:30 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.