/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Torque/Marathon
Posted By: delerium10101Date: 2/28/05 5:35 p.m.

Right, dunno how well this is going to be received but...

I own a copy of the Torque Game Engine, and if anyone is willing to do models and maps, I'd be willing to do all the necessary code work to port Marathon onto TGE, to be released as a free product. TGE provides many things that AO, and possibly E0 are lacking, especially in the realm of net play. Torque has some of the best netcode currently available, supporting up to 128 players per server. (That's just the magic number. Depending on bandwidth and gameplay requirements that could go much higher) TGE also uses open art formats, and models for it can be made in Milkshape, Max, Lightwave, Maya, Blender, and anything else that exports to .3DS. Map files can be made in anything that exports .map, the key two being QuArK and Hammer. IIRC Hammer can be used if the product is not sold.

A note on mods: Though it requires an license to look at the source code, script files have no restrictions. Therefore, mods would be rather easy to create and distribute. If necessary, I'd be willing to make engine modifications should your mod require them.

TGE also opens the door to future development on Marathon. It is an aging engine (2001 tech here) but is nonetheless very versitile. With support for terrains, vehicles, and a host of other goodies, it could very well be used to make a completely new Marathon.

If you have any questions, comments, whatever, post and I'll try to get back to you ASAP. Or send an email. Or, my AIM screenname is delerium10101.

Torque Stuff

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Torque/Marathondelerium10101 2/28/05 5:35 p.m.
     Re: Torque/Marathonsd 2/28/05 6:07 p.m.
           Re: Torque/Marathonsd 2/28/05 6:12 p.m.
                 Re: Torque/Marathondelerium10101 2/28/05 6:34 p.m.
                       Re: Torque/Marathonsd 2/28/05 6:58 p.m.
                             Re: Torque/Marathondelerium10101 2/28/05 9:33 p.m.
                                   Re: Torque/Marathonsd 2/28/05 10:07 p.m.
                                         Re: Torque/Marathondelerium10101 3/1/05 5:39 a.m.
                                         Re: Torque/MarathonNicholai 3/1/05 12:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Torque/Marathondelerium10101 3/1/05 3:11 p.m.
                                         Re: Torque/Marathontcm 3/2/05 6:51 a.m.
                 Re: Torque/MarathonTyler 2/28/05 6:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.