/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Escape will make me God!
Posted By: BlayneDate: 1/21/05 7:31 a.m.

In Response To: Escape will make me God! (Anaphiel)

: http://prospectmagazine.co.uk/article_details.php.6701.html

Thanks for the post Jay - good article. I almost jumped out of my pants when I saw the reference to Ragnarok. It's a concept, along with some reference to Loki that's part of the mythos of WMaiD.

Also, I love this sentence in the article;

"Although the concept of leaving our dying universe to enter another seems utterly mad, there is no law of physics forbidding entering a parallel universe. "

Well, Durandal isn't the most stable construct we've encountered after all. :)

All the talk of 11-dimensional hyperspace is interesting.
Take this for example;

"Unfortunately, the energy necessary to manipulate these higher dimensions, rather than just observe them, is far beyond anything available to us in the foreseeable future: 1019bn electron volts, or a quadrillion times the energy of the large hadron collider. To operate here one needs the technology of a super-advanced civilisation."

It also appears that any gateway, be it to other places, or times, requires "negative energy" to maintain its apature (sp?).

It's curious to note that the prospects of escaping the universe to a tangent/alternate one are presented as a viable (albet fantastic) solution to escaping the death of ours.

I'm not up to snuff on my quantum physics - but isn't there something that demands that between all parallel universes' time is constant? Or was that just something made up for the TV show Sliders?

A Type III civilization could escape the universe - only to wind up in another dying realm. An interesting, if dystopic idea for a SF novel. Hum.

Bungie (or perhaps we as fans) solved this in Marathon - by creating some sort of "outside", timeless god-realm beyond all universes'.

Thanks again for posting that article Jay. It helped clarify some concepts I've wondered about for some time.

Regards,
-Blayne

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Escape will make me God!Anaphiel 1/20/05 2:32 p.m.
     I better change my name back to Durandal, then :) *NM*Tyler 1/20/05 5:31 p.m.
           Wait... *back* to Durandal? Huh? *NM*K-chi 1/20/05 6:17 p.m.
     Big Michio Kaku fan here! ---> *NM*Reiginko 1/21/05 5:42 a.m.
     Re: Escape will make me God!Blayne 1/21/05 7:31 a.m.
           Re: Escape will make me God!Reiginko 1/21/05 8:26 p.m.
           Re: Escape will make me God!thermoplyae 1/22/05 4:50 p.m.
           Re: Escape will make me God!TwelveMotion 1/27/05 1:12 a.m.
                 Re: Escape will make me God!Enkidu 1/27/05 6:43 a.m.
                       Re: Escape will make me God!Chanly Smann 2/1/05 3:01 p.m.
                             Re: Escape will make me God!Document 2/2/05 7:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Escape will make me God!Chanly Smann 2/2/05 9:14 a.m.
                                         Re: Escape will make me God!Enkidu 2/2/05 9:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Escape will make me God!Forrest of B.org 2/2/05 10:33 a.m.
                                         Free your mind?Blayne 2/3/05 8:24 a.m.
                                               Re: Free your mind?Enkidu 2/3/05 8:46 a.m.
                                                     Re: Free your mind?Chanly Smann 2/3/05 12:04 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.