/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Opinions on Acme Station?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 10/14/04 6:16 a.m.

In Response To: Opinions on Acme Station? (Blayne)

I hate Acme Station, but it's one of my favorite levels. I know that some people think it was flawed, but I think the only flaw was putting another vacuum level immediately after it. Acme is short and the player can practice it over and over again until they get it right. Remember that Acme was also the 3rd level in the demo, which should tell us something about how Double Aught felt about it. Acme was one of the coolest levels in Infinity and well worth showing off. It's also hard!

One thing that is a misnomer - although Acme is a vacuum level, it is not in vacuum. The player hears a constant dripping sound in the background - what a cool effect - but it could not exist in vacuum. The station is obviously filled with some non-breathable gas. Could it be CO2 for our CO2-breathing friends? Probably not, but who knows. Alternatively, oxygen may just be too volitile for the power being relayed through the station - hence something else that might be breathable by the Jjaro, but not by us.

In terms of what the prongs and other things are - your guess is as good as mine. The real purpose was aesthetics, so you can make them be whatever you want them to be. Keep in mind that pylons were present in Aye Mac Sicur as well, so this seems to be part of a docking mechanism IMO. Now is this a power or a communications relay station? If it relays power, it must collect power from somewhere and send it somewhere. I didn't see any solar cells or anything that looked like it could be a reactor, but we may not have seen all of Acme Station, either. I think it's more likely a communications relay of some sort. After all, we ourselves have communications satellites of our own because of the simple fact that the earth's surface is curved and you can't transmit signals through the ground without laying cable or fiber. I suspect that Acme served a similar purpose.

For a really cool take on Acme, take a look at The Black Series if you haven't played it before. There is an Acme-like level in there that is unique in many respects, and even more challenging if you can believe it.

Good luck, and thanks for listening to my suggestions :^)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Opinions on Acme Station?Blayne 10/13/04 3:28 p.m.
     Re: Opinions on Acme Station?RyokoTK 10/13/04 4:25 p.m.
           Re: Opinions on Acme Station?Me_43 10/14/04 12:06 a.m.
     Re: Opinions on Acme Station?Steve Levinson 10/14/04 6:16 a.m.
           Re: Opinions on Acme Station?Andrew Nagy 10/25/04 6:55 a.m.
     Re: Opinions on Acme Station?Mista_B 10/14/04 6:46 a.m.
           Re: Opinions on Acme Station?thermoplyae 10/14/04 1:22 p.m.
     Re: Opinions on Acme Station? (late post)"Can-ned Food" 10/20/04 6:34 p.m.
           Re: Opinions on Acme Station? (late post)Blayne 10/20/04 8:31 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.