/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I feel really really stupid but..
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 10/12/04 8:17 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I feel really really stupid but.. (K-chi)

: What the heck is AO?

OK, I guess we need to get very basic. Aleph One is the open source initiative to modernize the Marathon game engine. A while back, Bungie released the source code for M2, upon which AO is based. BTW, Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and it is used in mathematics to denote varying degrees of infinity. For example, infinity squared is obviously greater than infinity, even though inifinty is, well, infinite. So what is beyond Marathon Infinity? Aleph One! BTW, did you say you're on a Mac or a PC? In either case, you can download AO in either flavor from http://source.bungie.org/. Next, download the port of Marathon 1 to the AO engine, M1A1 from Fileball in either the Mac or SDL flavors. You need M1A1, as the orignal M1 files are not compatible with AO. Simply drop the AO application into the M1A1 folder and double click on the AO app - you should be in business at this point. Finally, you'll probably want to grab Tim Vogel's beautiful HIgh-res textures in either the 256X256, 512X512 or 1024X1024 resolutions, depending on your hardware - they're well worth the DL.

Goold luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I feel really really stupid but..K-chi 10/12/04 3:46 p.m.
     Re: I feel really really stupid but..Bob-B-Q 10/12/04 5:37 p.m.
     Re: I feel really really stupid but..Lt Devon 10/12/04 6:33 p.m.
           Re: I feel really really stupid but..Steve Levinson 10/12/04 6:48 p.m.
                 Re: I feel really really stupid but..K-chi 10/12/04 7:42 p.m.
                       Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLD-M.A. 10/12/04 8:06 p.m.
                             Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLK-chi 10/12/04 8:41 p.m.
                       Re: I feel really really stupid but..Steve Levinson 10/12/04 8:17 p.m.
                             Re: I feel really really stupid but..K-chi 10/13/04 6:38 a.m.
                             Re: I feel really really stupid but..blake37 10/13/04 10:30 a.m.
                                   Re: I feel really really stupid but..K-chi 10/13/04 2:01 p.m.
                                         Re: I feel really really stupid but..blake37 10/13/04 3:25 p.m.
                       Re: I feel really really stupid but..Traxis-Spawn 10/12/04 8:42 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.