/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal - Level 11
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 9/4/04 11:08 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal - Level 11 (Steve Levinson)

: OK, I've played level 11. Overall I like this level a lot, although I would
: again caution that the Pfhor are less enamored of symmetry than we are. In
: addition to seeming more Pfhor-like, it would also be tougher to play if
: you were to mix summetric and asymmetric elements in the same map - this
: would throw the player off-guard.

I liked this level alot also. It was a little dicey after jumping down the elevator until reaching a recharger and PB. After that, the level is not too difficult and quite fun. Learning to control your speed while jumping on those rising platforms does take some practice. I agree with the symmetry. This is alot like G3. It gives the player a definite advantage.

: Other than the one major bug I already identified, I'm confused in that I
: never saw the 3 cyborgs that I was supposed to kill. I looked in Forge
: and see where they are supposed to be and that they're coded as MOACs,
: they were no where to be found in gameplay.

Steve, they are in the dead center of the southern part of the map. They are symmetrically placed in a triangular fashion. One of them is reached from the main plasma pit with the dual rising platforms. It can be seen on the ledge containing the two Enforcers tucked back in a small niche. The other two are in separate plasma rooms to the south and can be reached by similar rising platforms. Although they are called cyborgs, they look more like the creature that was supposed to be killed on Pfhoraphobia from M1. They have no attack power, so are sitting ducks.

I have one suggestion for this level in addition to one minor bug. First the minor bug. In the main plasma room with the dual rising platforms, the single Enforcer to the left guarding the teleporter is positioned in a strange way. It's positioned so that it can't be seen when the nearby door is closed. If the door is opened, then it can be seen. However, it's not really inside the room. If you walk around it without touching it, half of it seems to disappear. It's almost as though it were positioned inside the door.

The suggestion I have concerns the mission of the level and the three cyborgs. Obviously, the player should not be allowed to leave the level without defeating those three cyborgs since they were told to. Since the level is designated as Extermination and there are currently no inaccessible enemies in the level, 6 inaccessible enemies should be included somewhere in the map. This will force the player to defeat those three cyborgs. The reason why 6 and not 8 is because there are two Hunters in the south central part of the map that cannot be reached. They can be seen and can be shot at. However, it's possible for them to wander around the circular hallway in which they reside and not be seen by the player. Of course, this could also cause a problem because the player could defeat those two Hunters and leave two of the cyborgs alive. In that case, perhaps the level should also be designated as Exploration. Designate the polys in front of each cyborg as "must be explored" polys. In any case, the player should be forced to defeat the three cyborgs.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal - Levels 8-11Steve Levinson 9/4/04 7:47 a.m.
     Re: Eternal - Levels 8-11Dr. John Sumner 9/4/04 8:20 a.m.
     Re: Eternal - Level 11Steve Levinson 9/4/04 10:17 a.m.
           Re: Eternal - Level 11Dr. John Sumner 9/4/04 11:08 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal - Level 11Steve Levinson 9/4/04 1:52 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal - Level 11Forrest of B.org 9/4/04 10:08 p.m.
     Re: Eternal - Levels 8-11Forrest of B.org 9/4/04 10:17 p.m.
           Re: Eternal - Levels 8-11Steve Levinson 9/4/04 10:32 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal - Levels 8-11Forrest of B.org 9/4/04 10:46 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal - Levels 8-11blake37 9/5/04 6:00 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.