/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial Egos
Posted By: mattschenkDate: 8/25/04 4:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial Egos (Dr. John Sumner)

This, to me, is one of the weirdest levels in design. You are so far above the surface of the moon, almost like you're not in the colony at all (one of the reasons I chose the "flowers in heaven" soundtrack).

Without a doubt, the hardest thing to make in this level was the door that must be closed, then reopened. Why? Because there are TWO switches that activate the same door, yet they are designed to look like the SAME switch. The first switch is an ordinary panel that closes the door (after hitting it run real quickly to the window and watch the room below fill with darkness; on your return do the same but watch the light flood in). Then the player has access to the Shaki/Osindir terminal using an #unfinished text (terminal writers will understand). When you read that terminal, it changes the switch from switchA to switchB (which still look the same). SwitchB is set on "repair" making it necessary to activate to get the ending terminal. This may not sound too hard to pull off, but marathon is VERY picky with overlapping objects that can be tabbed and can get confused. It IS possible to activate both switches during your first visit, even though switchB is concealed. It was a bit frustrating and a lot of fun to make this trick run smoothly enough that the average player would not think twice about "game engine capabilities."

I'm glad you two like the monster placement and action. In previous versions i had juggernaughts in some of those bays, but decided against it in the release version. Good idea?

Ok, well I have to go now.
-matt

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosSteve Levinson 8/25/04 3:17 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosDr. John Sumner 8/25/04 4:07 p.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosSteve Levinson 8/25/04 4:13 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosDr. John Sumner 8/25/04 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial Egosmattschenk 8/25/04 4:59 p.m.
                             Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosSteve Levinson 8/25/04 6:13 p.m.
                       Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial EgosSteve Levinson 8/25/04 6:12 p.m.
                             Re: PF Volunteers - War of the Artificial Egosmattschenk 8/25/04 6:25 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.