/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

This isn't the first time this has happened...
Posted By: rampancyDate: 7/23/04 4:30 p.m.

In Response To: This puzzle goes beyond the Bungie community. (Skeletor)

: I'm not sure how this puzzle and the Halo 2 theatrical trailer are related,
: or who is actually behind this game, but I'm looking forward to seeing how
: it all plays out.

I'm sure that this is a trail of breadcrumbs that will lead us to several critical aspects of the Halo 2 storyline, specificially, characters in the game to look out for, and perhaps it may even give us more insight into the linkage between the Halo and Marathon storylines.

I remember reading somewhere (a comprehensive Gamespy preview, I think) that the plot of Halo 2 takes place on earth against the Covenant***; reading the transmissions sent by this man make me think of a cowering UNSC marine, his assault rifle clip with only a handful of rounds, hiding out in a bombed-out building, desperately trying to get through to his men...it's a feeling of fear and listlessness, not unlike Arthur Frane's ghostly calls to the doomed UESC ships in Infinity.

A stark contrast from The Cortana Letters, where the author seems to be writing with an air of absolute, invincible impunity. There's a sense of desperation here.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if this were a total hoax designed to deliver a puzzle to the Bungie Community...the ilovebees.com website, Dana's blog on Blogger...this isn't the first time something like this has happened; I remember a few years ago that BMW did a similar stunt to help promote the short films being made for The Hire, a series of web-released short movies featuring BMW's cars. Really weird stuff showed up on various websites throughout the internet, that were supposed to provide clues to savvy internet users who were in the know; I'm sure some of you remember when a really mysterious clue turned up on Apple's front page. The puzzle (IIRC) was an encrypted message that you could only decode using the clues that turned up; the reward? A phrase (and a URL, I think) that allowed you to sign up for a contest to win a free car from BMW.

I'm sure Bungie's following the same path, in their own way. It would be terribly anti-climactic though for Bungie to make us go through all this just to get us to enter a contest for a free copy of Halo 2 or an Xbox. If Bungie's hand is indeed at work, I'm certain that they will make the journey worth while. (Perhaps a link to exclusive Halo/Halo 2 concept art, access to old Betas, or some other tidbits like storyline notes).

***I'm sure most of the people on these boards know far more about Halo 2 than I do, so please pardon me if I seem out of the loop... :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

New Cortana Letters Now Online?Enkidu 7/23/04 8:49 a.m.
     Re: Phasmidia Elegans (Halo-related)•M 7/23/04 10:14 a.m.
           Re: Phasmidia Elegans (Halo-related)Adam Ashwell 7/23/04 10:39 a.m.
                 Re: Phasmidia Elegans (Halo-related)Adam Ashwell 7/23/04 10:44 a.m.
           Re: Mayday - [long]•M 7/23/04 10:55 a.m.
                 note to self, skip pre-tag, bash head *NM*•M 7/23/04 10:58 a.m.
                 Re: curiouser and more curiouser•M 7/24/04 12:08 a.m.
                       Re: Slashdotted•M 7/24/04 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: curiouser and more curiousera disreputable source 7/25/04 11:21 a.m.
                             Re: curiouser and more curiouser•M 7/25/04 11:33 a.m.
                       by "!" you mean "on fire"? *NM*Anonymous Coward 01 7/25/04 11:31 a.m.
     Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?Enkidu 7/23/04 10:43 a.m.
           Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?AfroRyan 7/23/04 10:55 a.m.
                 Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?AfroRyan 7/23/04 11:09 a.m.
     Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?Yossarian 7/23/04 11:10 a.m.
     Wayback? Google Cache? How long's it been there? *NM*a disreputable source 7/23/04 11:29 a.m.
           Re: Wayback? Google Cache? How long's it been therMark Levin 7/23/04 12:07 p.m.
     This puzzle goes beyond the Bungie community.Skeletor 7/23/04 2:41 p.m.
           This isn't the first time this has happened...rampancy 7/23/04 4:30 p.m.
                 Indeed...Jacke 7/24/04 1:50 a.m.
     Zeus Durandal/Cortana? (Warning: Crazy Ideas)rampancy 7/23/04 4:57 p.m.
     Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?deathmonger 7/23/04 7:02 p.m.
           Re: New Cortana Letters Now Online?deathmonger 7/23/04 7:20 p.m.
                 Ooh, Good Point! *NM*Bob-B-Q 7/24/04 2:39 a.m.
                       Probably not...Enkidu 7/24/04 3:19 a.m.
                             This is important to me...ukimalefu 7/24/04 8:47 a.m.
                                   and this...ukimalefu 7/24/04 8:55 a.m.
                                   Re: This is important to me...Enkidu 7/24/04 9:20 a.m.
                                         Bugger, forgot something...Enkidu 7/24/04 9:30 a.m.
                                         Re: This is important to me...ukimalefu 7/25/04 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: This is important to me...Vid Boi 7/24/04 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: This is important to me...AfroRyan 7/31/04 3:43 p.m.
                                               Re: This is important to me...Enkidu 8/1/04 9:04 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.