/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Huh...so there's 130 vessels in the Empire?
Posted By: ErnieDate: 7/5/04 12:42 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cann (Bob-B-Q)

: Correct... But with the system enhancements he and the S'pht had implemented, it was Wolf 359 all over again.

Heh, I like your Trek reference to illustrate your point.

: "The Pfhor fleet consists of seven corvettes similar to my own, four
: destroyers, a battleship, and an assault carrier."

By "Pfhor fleet", I presume Durandal is referring to Battle Group 7. Thus, it consists of:

- 7 Corvettes (This refers to the Boomer, as seen in M2 - not the Rozantae, correct?)
- 4 Destroyers
- 1 Battleship
- 1 Assault Carrier
- an assumed amount of at least "20 smaller craft", like those that accompanied the [downgraded Battle Group 3's central arm.

If this total of 13 major vessels, and at least 20 smaller ones is indeed representative of;

"...over ten percent of active Pfhor naval strength", can we estimate that the Pfhor Empires total military strength is simply 13 x 10? If so, there are only 130 vessels in the Pfhor empire's fleets.

For some reason, I always imagined there were much, much more. That also means that there are at least 200 smaller vessels divided between the battle groups.

This 10% value can also be interpreted to mean that there are 10 different Battle Groups.

The math is consistent between this “13 major ships”, the 10% value, and the amount of ships described in the downgraded Battle Group 3’s central arm:

“In any given "arm" there exists: 1 capital battleship, three destroyers ...”

13 ships in a Battle Group, divided by three Arms = 3 ships. Interesting.

"I doubt whether even I can hold them back with a single ship, but I will try."

This admission of weakness by Durandal in face of at least 13 ships + support craft of Battle Group 7 supports some plot points in WMaiD. I love it when things work out...

Also: Do any of our resident military-fanatics know the difference between a “Corvettes”, “Destroyers”, “Battleship”, or “Assault Carrier” ship classes? Which are larger military designations than others?

and ...

Where exactly does the Rubicon’s “Pfhor cruiser” the Khi'Prihfit in? Are cruiser and Corvettes the same thing?

Feel free to pick apart my math or logic - I’m having an good time extrapolating on this fleet information.
In the Trilogy are there any mentions of the UESC fleets size / breakdowns? I’d presume most of this information would come from Rubicon in any case. Any ideas Steve?

Regards,
-Blayne [ernie]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannon?Ernie 7/4/04 11:12 a.m.
     Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannblake37 7/4/04 11:33 a.m.
     Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon canngoran 7/4/04 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannAdam Ashwell 7/4/04 12:07 p.m.
     Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannSteve Levinson 7/4/04 12:13 p.m.
           Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannblake37 7/4/04 12:29 p.m.
                 Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannBob-B-Q 7/4/04 5:31 p.m.
                       Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannErnie 7/4/04 9:18 p.m.
                             Re: Pfhor Battle Groups mentioned in Marathon cannBob-B-Q 7/5/04 4:00 a.m.
                                   Huh...so there's 130 vessels in the Empire?Ernie 7/5/04 12:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Huh...so there's 130 vessels in the Empire?Yossarian 7/5/04 1:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Huh...so there's 130 vessels in the Empire?Ernie 7/5/04 2:35 p.m.
                                                     Re: Huh...so there's 130 vessels in the Empire?Bob-B-Q 7/5/04 4:06 p.m.
                                                           Thanks Bob-B-Q! *NM*Ernie 7/5/04 9:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.