/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute Shopping
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 5/10/04 3:35 p.m.

In Response To: Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute Shopping (Mark Levin)

: I see your point, and I could have worded that better. Maybe the front of the
: crate could be tweaked, but since I don't think it's important to make
: sure that they pick up both weapons, it's not worth a major change.

: Make it possible to reach the 3x recharger without using either of the
: secret weapons. People who don't tab every wall and explore in Forge
: deserve 3x health too :P

Mark, I don't mean to belabor the point. This is not a rant at you. It's a rant to all the scenario makers out there who put idiotically placed secrets in their maps without any hint at all to the player that such a secret exists. This has always bugged me about secrets. As a further example, consider the above quote from your original post. The only reason I knew about that 3x recharger is because I looked in Forge. Why does that secret not receive the same treatment as the Omega Cannon? They both are as obscure as a secret can get! One way to even things out is to leave that recharger where it is, but make it visible to the player. Let them figure out how to get over there. Steve did that! He was the one who suggested to me how I might get over there. As for the Omega Cannon, you could tweak the crate as you said. Or how about this suggestion: You want a reason to go into the balcony? Put a switch up there that activates the crate door. Let the player activate that switch and wonder what in the heck it does! Make them go back through the whole level to see what is different. And so that it is not made too easy, have the crate door lower after a sufficient amount of time. I'm not saying we do that necessarily, but at least it's a way to have a secret that's more apt to be found. My moral: Secrets should be hard to find, but they should be reasonably findable.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingMark Levin 5/10/04 11:20 a.m.
     Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingDr. John Sumner 5/10/04 11:54 a.m.
           Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingDr. John Sumner 5/10/04 12:05 p.m.
           Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingMark Levin 5/10/04 2:15 p.m.
                 Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingDr. John Sumner 5/10/04 2:31 p.m.
                       Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingMark Levin 5/10/04 2:54 p.m.
                             Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingDr. John Sumner 5/10/04 3:35 p.m.
                                   Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingSteve Levinson 5/10/04 3:59 p.m.
                                         Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingDr. John Sumner 5/10/04 4:14 p.m.
                                               Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingSteve Levinson 5/10/04 6:21 p.m.
                                   Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingMark Levin 5/11/04 7:50 a.m.
                                         Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingSteve Levinson 5/11/04 9:42 a.m.
                                               Re: RED 1.1: Last Minute ShoppingMark Levin 5/11/04 9:51 a.m.
                                                     Damn right! *NM*Steve Levinson 5/11/04 10:09 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.