/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 Mhz
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 4/29/04 6:36 p.m.

In Response To: RED 1.1: G4 Sunbathing at 300 Mhz (Mark Levin)

: These 4 levels are already very good, except for a few missteps at the very
: end of the run.

First of all, it's G3 sunbathing - M1 had G4, but this was a play on Ian's new Beige G3 PowerMac. I agree, the levels are very nicely done - except for the ending. Still, there's absolutely no room for error on DW, making it all to easy for the player to be trapped with an unplayable saved game.

: Place an oxygen canister inside the airlock leading to the safe area. A
: single canister should provide more than enough oxygen to explore the room
: and read the terminal at a comfortable speed even on DW.

Yes, yes, yes - this is the one most important change.

: Delete errant canister on top of the map.

It's fun to try to get it, but impossible. BTW, we really need to figure out why the flamethrower works in AO - it definitely shouldn't (I tried unsuccessfully to use it get that O2 canister - you're either inside or outside the blast radius - nothing inbetween).

: Change texture on recharger to proper 1x health charger texture. There's no
: more oxygen crisis because of the canister, so the other thing you'll be
: needing is shields. (Of course, this recharger is now redundant because
: there's no danger between here and the rechargers on the next level).

I think Ian did this for a reason and am therefore reluctant to change it. It's a sort of practical joke - that one O2 canister at the end will leave you still with only a half-a-tank with which to explore the final room, pick up your ammo and read the terminals. The player will still be tempted to use it - they'll like getting a shield recharge but, OMG, almost out of O2 - gotta get out of here!

: This change is not so important, and we could easily reject it as
: unnecessary to relieve frustration, but still: There's a place on the
: second level where you have to make 2 passes through a certain area, and
: leave through a newly opened door the second time. I think we should have
: the "wrong" exits to that area, which will leave you going in
: circles and suffocating, should be closed off, so there's no confusion and
: the theme of a clear "gauntlet" is retained. Of course, if I'm
: the only one that gets caught by that...

No, and this is my primary complaint - it's too easy to take a wrong turn, but to save your game at the next chance not realizing that you don't have enough O2 to make it to the end. Your suggested change would help, but it's still not enough and the player could still be trapped with an unplayable saved game. Here's what I would like to suggest. Let's leave the multiple paths issue intact - this is clearly the way Ian intended it and changing it would affect the feel of the level overall. Sure, I went in circles more than once the first time through, but this is part of the fun of the level - if you have a playable saved game to fall back on later. Instead, let's have extra O2 canisters that can be found if the player is desperate. Why not have an O2 canister teleport in behind the player along with the raptors as they leave each teleport pad. The player isn't likely to look back, so they won't necessarily know it's there unless they get desperate - and they'll have to deal with the raptors should they decide to go back after one. I think that this could solve the biggest problem with the G3 sequence.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED 1.1: G4 Sunbathing at 300 MhzMark Levin 4/29/04 5:58 p.m.
     Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzSteve Levinson 4/29/04 6:36 p.m.
           Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzMista_B 4/29/04 10:38 p.m.
           Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzDr. John Sumner 4/30/04 2:50 a.m.
                 Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzMark Levin 4/30/04 5:37 a.m.
                       Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzDr. John Sumner 4/30/04 6:00 a.m.
                             Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzDr. John Sumner 4/30/04 10:25 a.m.
                       Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzSteve Levinson 4/30/04 6:38 a.m.
                 Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzAndrew Nagy 4/30/04 12:39 p.m.
                       Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzMark Levin 5/1/04 9:43 a.m.
                             Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzDr. John Sumner 5/1/04 9:59 a.m.
                             Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzSteve Levinson 5/1/04 10:25 a.m.
                                   Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzDr. John Sumner 5/1/04 10:41 a.m.
                                         Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzMark Levin 5/1/04 11:18 a.m.
           Re: RED 1.1: *G3* Sunbathing at 300 MhzMark Levin 4/30/04 5:38 a.m.
     Maybe call it G5 sunbathing at 2GHz? - Nah *NM*Steve Levinson 4/30/04 6:54 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.