/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Enkidu: Prologue; Durandal?
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 4/27/04 11:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Enkidu: Prologue; Leela? (Mista_B)

I was fabled before rings were.
I was legend before Leonidas was born.
I was epic before demons rode in the dawn sky.
I was myth before a sword awoke from a stolen rocky womb.
I was sentenced into darkness before Theseus found his foe.
I was killed before my home was scourged by western winds of war.
I was driven raving mad before dear Dot bounced off the cushioned walls.

That sounds a bit like Durandal, or at least Durandal's namesake. I looked on Google for Theseus and Durandal in the same search, and I found that Roland was sometimes called "The Christine Theseus". Therefore, the line "I was sentenced into darkness before Theseus found his foe" could also mean "I was sentenced into darkness before Roland found his foe". I found this:

Roland now blew his enchanted horn, and blew so loudly that the veins of his neck started. Charlemagne heard the blast, but Ganelon persuaded him that it was only his nephew hunting the deer. Roland died of his wounds, but in dying threw his trusty sword Durandal into a poisoned stream, where it remained.

Durandal was sentenced into darkness at the bottom of the poisoned stream. Now, that could represent the change from the rampant Traxus to the stable Durandal. That, of course, assumes that Durandal and Traxus are one and the same.

On a different note, I looked up "Durandal" in Websters Dictionary (thats where I found the other stuff under the definition of "Roland"), and I found the following:

1. The legendary sword of the French hero Roland.

2. One of three A.I.s on board the Marathon in the computer game of the same name.

We're in the dictionary! =D

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Enkidu: PrologueBob-B-Q 4/27/04 9:38 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu: Prologue; Leela?Mista_B 4/27/04 10:17 a.m.
           Enkidu: Prologue; Durandal?Adam Ashwell 4/27/04 11:41 a.m.
                 Re: Enkidu: Prologue; Durandal?Elliott 4/27/04 12:24 p.m.
                       But I'm not complaining! *NM*Steve Levinson 4/27/04 3:32 p.m.
                       Re: Enkidu: Prologue; Durandal?Bob-B-Q 4/27/04 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: Enkidu: MaraFF perhaps?Ernie 4/30/04 2:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu: MaraFF perhaps?Forrest of B.org 4/30/04 3:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu: MaraFF perhaps?Ernie 5/1/04 10:02 a.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu: MaraFF perhaps?the_Ouroboros 5/3/04 11:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu: MaraFF perhaps?Forrest of B.org 5/3/04 3:18 p.m.
                                                           myth.bungie.orgAndrew Nagy 5/4/04 9:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: myth.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 5/4/04 11:37 a.m.
                                                                       Re: myth.bungie.orgGholsbane 5/4/04 10:45 p.m.
                                                                             Re: myth.bungie.orgAndrew Nagy 5/5/04 8:55 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: myth.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 5/5/04 10:21 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: myth.bungie.orgGholsbane 5/6/04 4:33 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: myth.bungie.orgAndrew Nagy 5/6/04 8:55 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: myth.bungie.orgGholsbane 5/6/04 10:27 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.