/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Would you do the same?
Posted By: YossarianDate: 4/26/04 9:48 a.m.

In Response To: Would you do the same? (Eric)

Theatres suck, and unless you actually own one it's not going to be profitable for you. Lowe's seems like a better place to work to me because there's always something to do, tons to learn, and you get on the job exercise. There's also experience you get there that you won't get serving drinks or mopping up kid puke.

Had I been in your position I'd have gone to my supervisor or manager and asked them their opinion and see if they had any comments or feedback. You could say something to the effect of "I feel that I have been doing a very good job here but so and so say this, what do you think? Do you have any recommendations?" And if the manager doesn't care, or doesn't have anything to say, then if anything happens in the future you could have gone back and said "Well, we discussed this earlier and you never mentioned that..." or whatever. If you want your boss to do something for you, you've got to do something for him. I'm not saying wash his car or anything, but if you can make him look better to his bosses, or can make his department or store run better, the better it is for you. You may think that sounds like bullshit, like brown-nosing, but its the way the business world works my friend.

My first job at this restaurant I was pretty much verbally abused every day. It took me forever to learn the menu, I was slow as hell, and I was always messing up the line. For two months every night I worked the waitresses, cooks, manager, and dishwashers cursed me under and over their breath. But within four months, I was one of the best cooks there because of the difficult environment I learned in. All those shit-talkers eventually quit or were fired and I started making more; the manager and the owner *did* care and things went smooth until the day I left - two years after starting.

Reading your post reminds me of a few guys I've fired. It comes down to this: when you're slinging shit on a warehouse floor somewhere you are at the bottom of the food chain; the company doesn't owe you jack except two breaks, a lunch, a paycheck, and a relatively safe working environment. That's why people that do this typically aren't making that much money. You are an unskilled and easily replaceable asset, you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, nowhere in your hiring packet does it say anyone has to be nice to you or agree with your opinion of how you work.

From here you can do two things.

You can go through the motions each day, doing only what you have to to get that check OR you can make yourself so valuable that when it comes down to it, they can't afford to lose you. That's what I did with the job I have now, I took every opportunity at overtime, to cross-train, to learn the other departments, to get certified on as much equipment as possible, etc. The more difficult it is to replace you the more your manager is going to care about you and what you do.

Although everyone loves the drama of telling their boss to f--k off, the truth is all you're doing is burning bridges behind you. It would have been to your advantage to give a two week notice so you'd still be eligible for rehire in case your next job is even worse.

So I guess no, I would not have done the same.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Would you do the same?Eric 4/25/04 10:23 p.m.
     More importantly...goran 4/25/04 11:46 p.m.
           Re: More importantly...Eric 4/26/04 1:07 a.m.
     Nope ...Releasethedogs 4/26/04 7:59 a.m.
     Re: Would you do the same?Yossarian 4/26/04 9:48 a.m.
           Mod this up! ^_^ *NM*Mista_B 4/26/04 4:38 p.m.
           Damn it! I was going to say the exact same thing! *NM*the Battle Cat 4/27/04 9:34 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.