/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Moments of Awe
Posted By: Callie21VDate: 4/22/04 3:27 p.m.

In Response To: To all marathon players (goran)

Like Steve, I enjoy being surprised. There are a few moments that stand out off the top of my head as particularly effective:

• M1 demo, Blaspheme Quarantine. I walked up to the terminal to read the promised mission briefing about replacement circuit boards, and instead learned that I'd been kidnapped. I hadn't been expecting much more out of the story than that of Descent: every level's intro text a variation on "destroy all monsters," with the only plot twist being an ending that sets you up for another thirty formulaic levels. Seeing an actual, involving story sneak into an action game was something of a revelation. That's the moment I was hooked on Marathon.

• Rubicon, the first time I saw someone get hit with a beam of teleportation effect and beam out rather than die. I was momentarily stymied as to what I'd just seen and how it was done.

• Evil, the first time a Devlin jumped me. No blinding conceptual breakthrough, but dang, those things are fast.

Now, I can't really give you specific ideas on how to shock me, but there's the idea. :) The innovation bar has been raised enormously since the first game, but as the introduction of snow proved, there's still plenty of ground left to cover (no pun intended.)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

To all marathon playersgoran 4/22/04 11:19 a.m.
     Re: To all marathon playersSteve Levinson 4/22/04 12:07 p.m.
     Moments of AweCallie21V 4/22/04 3:27 p.m.
     Re: To all marathon playersukimalefu 4/22/04 3:45 p.m.
           Re: To all marathon playersElliott 4/23/04 8:28 a.m.
     Make the map fun to play *NM*the Battle Cat 4/23/04 5:29 a.m.
           what do you mean? *NM*D-M.A. 4/23/04 6:27 a.m.
                 Lots of Explosives! *NM*Bob-B-Q 4/23/04 6:53 a.m.
                       Naked Womens! *NM*Yossarian 4/23/04 7:00 a.m.
                             Sex! *NM*Adam Ashwell 4/23/04 10:37 a.m.
                             Maybe Naked Mens, for the female players? :-p *NM*K-chi 4/23/04 10:54 a.m.
                                   ewwww *NM*D-M.A. 4/23/04 10:56 a.m.
                                   yeah you got to have it fun for the girls too...Releasethedogs 4/24/04 7:50 a.m.
                                         A bitchslap or a kick in the nuts?goran 4/24/04 11:25 a.m.
                                               Hurry before Jane comes back!!!! *NM*the Battle Cat 4/24/04 12:32 p.m.
                                               Well...K-chi 4/25/04 9:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: Well...Adam Ashwell 4/25/04 9:41 a.m.
                                                     Re: Well...goran 4/25/04 2:57 p.m.
                                   No, Edumacated Independently-Minded Naked Womens! *NM*Yossarian 4/25/04 5:16 p.m.
                                         What are you trying to say...? *NM*K-chi 4/28/04 5:08 p.m.
                                               stoopid mob-mentality nekkid womens R best? *NM*the Battle Cat 4/29/04 6:20 a.m.
     Personally...thermoplyae 4/25/04 7:03 a.m.
           Re: Personally...Steve Levinson 4/25/04 7:28 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.