/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED Volunteers: END GAME
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 4/19/04 1:08 p.m.

In Response To: RED Volunteers: END GAME (Mark Levin)

: Michael's chariot is a bizarre mix of environments taken from all over the
: scenario, with human-style metal rooms, mystical pyramid areas, pools of
: slime, Organic infestations, and more. It's heavily 5D and can be
: extremely confusing the navigate, and the monsters regenerate
: *constantly*. It's difficult to find an idle corner to charge up in even
: if you want to.

And if you haven't fugured out how to use the mace to recharge, you will end up depleating your shields very quickly here, due to a high density of ghosts. The one spot where there is actually enough of a break in the action is in the area with the one and only pattern buffer, but watch out for marines firing at you from above. Since this is a 5D room, however, you can always walk around behind the open door and recharge to your heart's content - at least until a ghost sneaks up on you. And charge you must to survive the next room.

: Stepping into all these polygons will open the door at the north end of the
: intersection in the corridors area, letting you into the end.

Although it took me a few tries, I actually managed to fully explore the level without the need for shields. To do so, I had to be very fast and to almost constantly hold down the primary trigger on the omega.

: A very difficult end it is too - I didn't comprehend just how devilish this
: room is until looking at it in Forge. There are actually two rooms in
: here stacked atop each other in 5D space, with the area in the center
: around the columns linking them. In one of these rooms is a door at the
: north end, set on a 60-second time delay. You trigger this door by running
: near the central structure, but this will also open that structure up to
: let out Michael and a horde of champion Metalloids. You must then survive
: the endless stream of Metalloids while running frantically around the room
: waiting for the door to open and not getting confused as to which room you
: are in.

The 5D effect in here is pretty cool. Unfortunately, it's very easy to slip into the wrong room without realizing it. Just notice that the second room doesn't have any doors, and you'll know where you are. Better yet, stay close to the center. I too tried to see if I could trigger the door without triggering the monster ambush. Unfortunately, it's quite easy to do the reverse, which is a very real risk in actual gameplay. The first step all around triggers the monster ambush and the second step triggers the door. You cannot get to the second step from any direction without hitting the first one - believe me, I tried every means of flying over it, but in Marathon just passing over a poly triggers it.

The strategies for beating the final room will depend on how high you've recharged your shields and on the difficulty setting. If playing on Ian's Easy, you can safely stand in front of the exit door and hold down the primary trigger on the omega - nothing will happen to you, even without any shielding. On Ian's Normal, you'll need to be a bit more aggressive unless you recharge your shields. Standing near the center of the room and continuously firing the primary trigger of the conche will prevent any metalloids from escaping to fire back at you, even if you have no shields. On Ian's Major Damage, you'll still be at risk and you have two choices. You can run continuously around one of the rooms and fire the omega continuously, or you can stand near the center and fire the conche continuously at the center while you side-step continuously. Either of these strategies seems to work much of the time without any shield strength. Unfortunately, I have never successfully manouvered the final room on Ian's TC or Deathwish without shields, so I cannot comment on whether or not there is an effective strategy, but the mace certainly makes that issue mute.

: Once the final door is open, step into the final teleporter for the real
: endgame...

And pray, because there are no pattern buffers from here on out.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: END GAMEMark Levin 4/19/04 12:32 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: END GAMESteve Levinson 4/19/04 1:08 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: END GAMEDr. John Sumner 4/19/04 2:01 p.m.
                 Re: RED Volunteers: END GAMEMark Levin 4/19/04 2:58 p.m.
                 Re: RED Volunteers - Your thoughts, Ian?Steve Levinson 4/19/04 4:21 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: END GAMEDylan 4/19/04 2:13 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: END GAMEDylan 4/19/04 2:14 p.m.
     RED Volunteers:suggestionsDylan 4/19/04 5:02 p.m.
           Hmm.... aol.com.... *NM*Mista_B 4/19/04 9:00 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.