/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Pattern Buffers
Posted By: Wejam The CarterDate: 4/12/04 9:24 p.m.

Just though I'd stimulate some conversation on a subject that has been bothering me for a while. Pattern Buffers. Now there has been a recent discussion on the subject to which I've included a link, but I still feel that we've only scratched the surface of the true ramifications of such a thing as a pattern buffer.
Now normally I would just right it off as a necesity for the game to have a save engine which was more or less explained away with the X-factor of Future technology. But Today I feel a little rambunctious tonight, so I'm going to throw logic out the window, and take everything at face value.

Ok, so it seems that the general consensus is that the pattern buffer facilitates some kind of time travel in which the mind survives after death and travels back to the last time it used a PB.
The question of why don't the Pfhor, or other Humans use PB's was addressed that they probably do, except they are continueing on in alternate realities.
SO drawing from these conclusions, here are a few questions raised by the existence of Pattern Buffers which you may find intriguing, desturbing, or just plain silly.

1. If I use a pattern buffer once at a young age, then live my life ande eventually die of natural causes will I start out again where I first used it?
2. If the security officer dies on "Waterloo Water Park" (the first level of M2) before using a PB, why doesn't he start back on "Try Again" (the last M1 level with PB's)?
3. If you used a PB right before there was an explosion or some other un avoidable death, would you have to keep reliving your own horrible eath over and over again?
4. If you use a PB, does that make death impossible?
5. If someone who dies after using a PB can only continue on an alternate timeline, then how were they able to develope pattern buffing technology if there's no actual way to prove that it works within this reality?
6. What could prevent you from saving on a PB, waiting to see the lotery drawing, killing yourself, then reverting back to play the winning numbers?

There are probably a lot more, But I think this should get the ball rolling.

The guy who doesn't need a Pattern Buffer to come back from the dead
Wejam the Carter

http://http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=24553

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pattern BuffersWejam The Carter 4/12/04 9:24 p.m.
     Re: Pattern Buffersukimalefu 4/12/04 10:20 p.m.
     Re: Pattern BuffersVid Boi 4/12/04 10:47 p.m.
     Re: Pattern BuffersSteve Levinson 4/13/04 4:09 a.m.
           Re: Pattern Buffers - effects on normal peopleErnie 4/13/04 10:33 a.m.
                 Re: Groundhogsday•M 4/15/04 9:52 a.m.
           Re: Pattern BuffersWejam The Carter 4/13/04 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Pattern BuffersForrest of B.org 4/13/04 11:58 a.m.
           Re: Pattern BuffersYossarian 4/13/04 12:56 p.m.
                 Re: Pattern BuffersIrritated 4/13/04 2:07 p.m.
                       Re: Pattern BuffersForrest of B.org 4/13/04 6:12 p.m.
                             Re: Pattern Buffersukimalefu 4/13/04 8:57 p.m.
                             Re: Pattern BuffersSteve Levinson 4/14/04 5:38 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.