/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: My big RED apology
Posted By: Jorge SalasDate: 3/19/04 10:50 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My big RED apology (Dr. John Sumner)

: Ha! In your dreams!! Oh, there are a few of the levels that are definitely
: viable on TC. However, I am not sure that enough of them are vidable to
: make a vid package worthwhile to anyone.

I disagree. I think that any film package that demonstrates completion of an entire scenario is VERY worthwhile... if only for its ability to serve as a "spoiler" or "hint book". I have to confess that I have delved into your Rubicon films more than once to get out of a situation that I was "stuck" in and couldn't figure out.

So, even if you have to use the guns every once in a while, I still think a collection of films of RED is more than worthy.

While I'm on the subject... (oh boy, get ready)...

I would love to speak on a long cherished tradition in Marathon which I have come to question a bit as of late... the vidmasters challenge. I have recently reinstalled all three marathons and have been watching many films, especially Johns, Jims, etc. complete renditions in TC with fists only. True vidmasters in every sense of the word. :-)

However, I have truly come to believe that the decision to use fists only almost all of the times is a mistake. Let's face it, its a bit boring, and I think that films lose quite a bit of style points because of it. I know that I am one sentence short of heresy when I say that... but one of the things that I truly loved about Myth films was that the focus was completely on the style in which levels were beaten. As much damage and as wild as possible was the moto.

Now, TC with fists only is the ultimate nirvana of the vidmaster... but I don't think they are the most watchable of films all the time. I would much rather see a vidmaster get the fusion pistol out and mow down 4 major hunters, weaving, moving, showing style in the battle and making quick work of them than see them run around and around in circles throwing a punch here and there for 8 minutes till the hunters drop one by one. I guess I'm speaking from a purely entertainment viewpoint. Obviously, starting a level with only the pistol will necesitate lots of fist action, but bring out the guns! The vidmaster challenge should be ammended to include... "I will leave no ammo unused in my ruthless pursuit of the Phfor." :-)

So, John, I would love to see films of you ripping into the hordes on RED without regards to whether it's fists only or not. I couldn't care less, as long as it's done with style, grace and fun.

I'm not saying that TC fists only films don't have merit... they have the ultimate merit as far as vidmaster skill goes... however, I don't think they always make the best films.

(Asbestos suit on and ready!)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/17/04 3:45 p.m.
     Re: My big RED apologyJorge Salas 3/19/04 6:34 a.m.
           Re: My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/19/04 9:49 a.m.
                 Re: My big RED apologyJorge Salas 3/19/04 10:50 a.m.
                       Re: My big RED apologyAndrew Nagy 3/19/04 11:35 a.m.
                             Re: My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/19/04 12:11 p.m.
                                   Re: My big RED apologyMark Levin 3/19/04 12:18 p.m.
                                         Re: My big RED apologySteve Levinson 3/19/04 1:43 p.m.
                       Re: My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/19/04 12:03 p.m.
                             Re: My big RED apologyJorge 3/19/04 8:27 p.m.
                             Re: My big RED apologyAndrew Nagy 3/19/04 8:34 p.m.
                                   Re: My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/20/04 2:53 a.m.
                       Re: My big RED apologythe Battle Cat 3/20/04 8:20 a.m.
                             Re: My big RED apologyDr. John Sumner 3/20/04 10:39 a.m.
                                   Re: My big RED apologythe Battle Cat 3/21/04 7:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.