/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Systems...
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 3/3/04 5:07 a.m.

In Response To: Systems... (Kirk)

: I have a few qeustions concerning solar systems and locations in Marathon.

: First, is Tau ceti a star? or when they talk about the colony is it on the
: planet Tau ceti.

Tau Ceti is a real star that is fairly near our solar system. It has always been presumed that the colony on Tau Ceti is a colony on a planet in orbit around the star we know today as Tau Ceti. There is a discrepancy, however - Lela's musings in G4 Sunbathing about how long it will take a message to reach Earth suggest a distance some 9 times farther away than the actual location of Tau Ceti. There has been a lot of discussion on this in the forum, most of it concluding that Lela was deliberately trying to mislead the Pfhor into thinking Earth was farther away, but that's pure conjecture not supported by anything else in the game. Far more likely is that Bungie simply made a mistake, but who knows. Since we're free to invent our own hypotheses, it's also possible that Tau Ceti is a planet around a completely different star that just happens to share its name with an existing star. Unlikely, I know, but possible. If we use conventional naming strategies for planets - not that we have planets to name, yet - the proper name for a planet orbiting the star Tau Ceti would be Tau Ceti, followed by a number indicating its order in the progression of planets outward from the star. If we accept Star Trek's naming scheme, one could additionally refer to it as Tau Ceti Prime if it is the "homeworld" associated with that system, a strategy copied in Marathon Rubicon. I suspect that if Tau Ceti had only one habitable planet, then that planet would likely simply be referred to as Tau Ceti. The base on Tau Ceti, however, would likely be named after someone. Perhaps Bungie missed the boat on that one.

: Do we know the name of Lh'owon's star? and how many/what planets are in
: Lh'owon's system.

As far as I know, this is never mentioned in the game. In all terminal text and even the Infinity manual, it is simply referred to as Lh'owon's star. The only thing we know of its location is that it's near the galactic core.

: Also if anyone knows a place where I can get a list of all the planets and
: systems mentioned in the Marathon games that would be a great help, I
: don't believe theres is one though.

Although there are multiple references to other civilizations in the galaxy, I can't recall many actual references to planets or stars. There is the rogue star and an associated "ruined world" mentioned in Durandal's final message in M2, and there is a reference to the Nar homeworld at some point, but nothing more specific. Anyone else able to weight in on this?

: I'm asking this because I am planning on making a Marathon conversion for the
: game EV Nova, if you knwo that game you'll understand why this is needed.

Good luck :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Systems...Kirk 3/3/04 4:00 a.m.
     Re: Systems...Steve Levinson 3/3/04 5:07 a.m.
           Re: Systems...Bob-B-Q 3/3/04 5:23 a.m.
           Re: Systems...Yossarian 3/3/04 1:47 p.m.
                 Re: Systems...don't forget...Yossarian 3/3/04 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: Systems...don't forget...Elliott 3/3/04 2:25 p.m.
                             Re: Systems...don't forget...Kirk 3/5/04 8:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Systems...don't forget...Andrew Nagy 3/5/04 2:14 p.m.
                                         Re: Systems...don't forget...Mark Levin 3/5/04 2:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Systems...don't forget...Kirk 3/6/04 2:07 a.m.
                                                     Re: Systems...don't forget...Elliott 3/6/04 8:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Systems...don't forget...Adam Ashwell 3/6/04 9:04 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Systems...don't forget...D-M.A. 3/8/04 12:16 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Systems...don't forget...Kirk 3/8/04 1:00 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Systems...don't forget...Adam Ashwell 3/8/04 10:27 a.m.
     Re: Systems...mattschenk 3/3/04 6:24 p.m.
           Re: Systems...Bob-B-Q 3/4/04 3:32 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.