/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Evil Volunteers: Parathymeter
Posted By: YossarianDate: 2/7/04 6:34 a.m.

In Response To: Evil Volunteers: Parathymeter (Steve Levinson)

: Parathymeter - anyone know the significance of this name? It's not in the
: dictionary and a Google search only yields Marathon Evil references.

Chapter 13 book of Jeremiah in what's known to some as the Old Testament of the bible (haven't picked one up in a while), verses 1-9 yeilds the following:

-----
The LORD said to me: Go buy yourself a linen loincloth; wear it on your loins, but do not put it in water.
I bought the loincloth, as the LORD commanded, and put it on.
A second time the word of the LORD came to me thus:
Take the loincloth which you bought and are wearing, and go now to the Parath; there hide it in a cleft of the rock.
Obedient to the LORD'S command, I went to the Parath and buried the loincloth.
After a long interval, he said to me: Go now to the Parath and fetch the loincloth which I told you to hide there.
Again I went to the Parath, sought out and took the loincloth from the place where I had hid it. But it was rotted, good for nothing!
Then the message came to me from the LORD:
Thus says the LORD: So also I will allow the pride of Judah to rot, the great pride of Jerusalem.
-----

That God and his overly dramatic and time-consuming means of making an analogy come to life...what a piece of work. So what is a parath other than a convenient and divinely appointed area in which a person can let rot a newly purchased, hardly worn loincloth?

According to this site:

http://www.brow.on.ca/Articles/ArabsBible.html

A "parath" is a river:

-----
In the nearly four thousand year-old quarrel over land between the Arabs and the Jews it is interesting that only the very small strip of land from Dan to Beersheba is claimed by the Jewish children of Israel. This fact is obscured by the first Bible translators who assumed that the Hebrew word parath or "river" must always be translated as the Euphrates. It was the Greeks who gave the river Euphrates its name. Herodotus named it "the river that makes glad" (from the Greek, euphraino). But that does not prove that the word parath in the Hebrew Bible always refers to the Euphrates which was a very distant five hundred miles to the north.
-----

So take the Hebrew "parath" and add the Greek "meter" and you get Parathymeter, or "The measure of a/the river" or "instrument or method of measuring a/the river" or some such garbage. I don't know, maybe I should go back to college.

Again, it all comes back to the Greeks.

Oh, and, Google harder next time, Steve! ;)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterSteve Levinson 2/6/04 5:42 p.m.
     Re: Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterDr. John Sumner 2/7/04 4:34 a.m.
           Re: Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterSteve Levinson 2/7/04 6:08 a.m.
     Re: Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterYossarian 2/7/04 6:34 a.m.
           Impressive! *NM*Steve Levinson 2/7/04 8:14 a.m.
     Re: Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterMark Levin 2/7/04 7:09 a.m.
           Re: Evil Volunteers: ParathymeterDr. John Sumner 2/7/04 7:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.