/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!
Posted By: the Battle CatDate: 1/29/04 6:33 a.m.

In Response To: Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!! (deathmonger)

: Uhm... the only reason I can think of is that bungie said so. They are, after
: all, the greatest source of Tru7h in the universe.

(This message in not meant for you deathmonger, I'm just using your post because you referred to the vidmaster's oath)

The Vidmaster's oath also says to never leave a single BOB alive, to punch all switches, to use up your grenades as soon as you get them and to always play on Total Carnage. None of which makes any sense to me.

I try to protect the BOBs as much as possible unless I'm in great need of their ammo or weapons. I like to replay a fight to see how many BOBs I can save. The original Marathon had rescue levels where you had to save a certain percentage of BOBs to win the level, too bad that is broken in Forge/Marathon.

Some switches are out of reach, I usually only punch switches when they are stuck, and I only shoot them when they are out of reach because I conserve ammo like Scrooge McDuck.

I especially conserve my grenades using them only when absolutely needed or to knock a monster off a ledge or out of my way. I usually finish the game with LOTs of grenades in my inventory.

I play on whatever difficulty level is the most fun for me. I normally play on Total Carnage but I often will switch to Kindergarden to scout out resources in a very difficult map such as save/powerup terms and guns or ammo. Whenever I play a map to help someone with a problem they are having or to double check something I play on Kindergarden.

The caps lock key is super handy so I use it. I run almost everywhere in a map, almost never walking. In addition I sideways-run most everywhere. In fact, I didn't even think to use the caps lock key until I saw the oath and I thought that was a GREAT idea because it freed up a key and a finger I would have to use constantly during the entire game. Efficiency is a good thing not a "girly-boy" thing. If you call others a girly-boy for using it, then put all your control keys as far away from each other as possible, switch left with right and forward with backward, and enjoy your game that way or you'll be a girly-boy by your own definition. BUT, if you enjoy your game not using the caps lock then that's great, more power to you. One of the truly great things about Marathon is it's versatility and ability to please a wide audience. There are times when I set the run key to a key near where I can rest my pinky for easy on-off access such as when there is a lot of swimming to do. I only did this once in M2, there is this deep pool filled with half floating ammo that takes a lot of precise swimming to gather before you drown.

That's just the way I play, not saying it's THE way to play. I'm just defending my actions. By all means suit yourself. Marathon is for you to enjoy the way you want. In my opinion, the vidmasters oath is just a fun testosterone soaked message of bravado for us to enjoy as we "warp" to a level, not a strict code of ethics. It was very cool of Bungie to put that message there.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

"why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!Deadelus 1/28/04 10:17 a.m.
     Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!deathmonger 1/28/04 11:51 a.m.
           Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!paolo mk IV 1/28/04 12:13 p.m.
                 Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!Johannes Gunnar 1/28/04 1:42 p.m.
                       Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!Elliott 1/28/04 1:51 p.m.
                             Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!Steve Levinson 1/28/04 2:16 p.m.
                                   Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!me! 1/31/04 1:46 p.m.
                                         Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!Elliott 1/31/04 1:54 p.m.
           Re: "why no caps lock" he says!! PHHHT!!!the Battle Cat 1/29/04 6:33 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.