/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an Underpaid
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 1/27/04 5:26 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an Underpaid (Yossarian)

: I was a bit surprised that no one noticed this earlier. Unfortunately, I
: don't think the Rubicon terminals are anywhere on the net and I don't have
: my Mac with me, but I recall that the above text from this Rubicon
: terminal was written by Lt. Davis Hartman about the crewmen he was
: apparently working with.

Yossarian,

I e-mailed Scott Brown about this one, and here's his response:

I read over his post, and I'm sad to say that I can't remember my exact intentions with those two references. Rubicon grew so organically that it's difficult to pinpoint when pieces were added or subtracted, and the end result has so many overlapping layers of depth and obscure references that I doubt we'll ever know the origins or intentions of every last piece.

So that you don't go completely unsatisfied, I will say this much: when writing that section of the game, I had just recently watched Full Metal Jacket and was discussing Sinclair's Jungle over coffee with a close friend who was reading it at the time. I looked at one of the two Sinclair links that Yoss posted, and a few quotes immediately jumped out at me:

"My Cause is the Cause of a man who has never yet been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, God-given holy purpose."

And...

"The line of the buildings stood clear-cut and black against the sky; here and there out of the mass rose the great chimneys, with the river of smoke streaming away to the end of the world. It was a study in colours now, this smoke; in the sunset light it was black and brown and grey and purple. All the sordid questions of the place were gone - in the twilight it was a vision of power. To the two who stood watching while the darkness swallowed it up, it seemed a dream of wonder, with its tale of human energy, of things being done, of employment for thousands upon thousands of men, of opportunity and freedom, of life and love and joy. When they came away, arm in arm, Jurgis was saying, 'Tomorrow I shall go there and get a job!'" (from The Jungle)

Both harken back to the Wheeling Hubcap Factory dream sequences with Kate and the narrator's ruminations and experiences, although Sinclair says it so much more eloquently than any of us who contributed to Rubicon's story ever could.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidYossarian 1/24/04 9:24 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidSteve Levinson 1/27/04 5:26 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidYossarian 1/27/04 11:22 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.