/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an Underpaid
Posted By: YossarianDate: 1/24/04 9:24 a.m.

: We learn a lot from reading terminals as we go:

: I was going to say that Upton and Rowe are missing, but that's a lie--
: they're dead. It all happened so fast. Pfhor breached the outer wall, and
: the liquid from the reservoir rushed in and threw both of them into the
: storage room. I wonder if the chemicals killed them before they drowned?

I was a bit surprised that no one noticed this earlier. Unfortunately, I don't think the Rubicon terminals are anywhere on the net and I don't have my Mac with me, but I recall that the above text from this Rubicon terminal was written by Lt. Davis Hartman about the crewmen he was apparently working with.

One of these crewmen is named Upton Sinclair, also the name of the author most famous for writing the *The Jungle*. This novel and the next few he wrote after it focused much on the toiling of the lower classes and class struggles in general, and I think that these themes parellel very well with the Rubicon themes of similar tones, as we later in Rubicon.

For more on Sinclair and *The Jungle*:

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/sinclair.htm
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/jungle

Now, as for Lt. Davis Hartman, I believe this may be a reference to the Stanley Kubrick film *Full Metal Jacket* and is a mixture of two of the characters' names. You have gunnery sergeant Hartmann, who goes about turning maggots into marines on Parris island. One of these grunts is known only as "Pvt. Joker" throughout the film and is never referred to by name, though during a training scene we see that his PT uniform says "J.T. Davis" on it. Put their names together and you get J.T. Davis/Hartman.

FMJ: J.T. Davis/Hartmann
Rubicon: Lt. Davis Hartman

Also in FMJ, Pvt. Joker acts somewhat as a narrator yet has only few lines as such, and this is slightly reminiscent of of the Rubicon dream terms, at least to me. The memorable quotes section in the following link is definately worth a look, especially if you've never seen the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/

Or maybe I'm wrong...

Yossarian.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidYossarian 1/24/04 9:24 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidSteve Levinson 1/27/04 5:26 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers-Honk if You're an UnderpaidYossarian 1/27/04 11:22 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.