glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the same?
Posted By: dalecooper <dale_cooper@hotmail.com>Date: 2/3/03 2:38 p.m.

I was reading through (and briefly, posting in) the thread about the hacking of Halo. And it got me to thinking.

My first thought was that I hope they make Halo 2 relatively hack-proof. What I mean is, I hope it doesn't come off the truck and get hacked the next morning. I am not all that up on the tech specs of video games; I don't know what they can do to keep it hack-proof. I just hope they do. I want Halo 2 to have a long period of blessed virginity, violated only by smooth operators with worked-over come-on lines and the patience to try a lot of different tacks, resulting only in heavy petting before the final event, so long delayed and withheld... I DON'T want some moron with a bottle of Rohypnol taking teenage Halo 2 to his backseat and then posting videos on the web the morning after. (How's that for a disturbing metaphor? Hold your applause until the end, please.)

My next thought was tangential to the first. Specifically, is it even possible that Halo 2 will have the same magic? I'm making some (perhaps dumb) assumptions here: that the physics engine will be basically the same; that the arsenal of grenades and other explosives will be augmented but fundamentally unchanged; that the maps will be similarly designed; etc. And I wonder how much joy I personally will take from getting into places on these maps, yet using tricks someone else pioneered. How cool can it possibly be to use simple grenade jumps to get on top of small maps? How about overshield/grenade jumps? Exploring is good, but the methods are almost interesting than the final destinations... and considering that many or all of the methods may already be laid bare, it may take some of the fun out. It may take a "Bottom of HALO"-style 10 page dissertation to make a trick interesting to me. Because I've seen grenade jumping, rocket hopping, object clipping, two-player shenanigans, and hunter whacking. I am familiar with every method that some pioneer dreamed up to get all over Halo. And unless the terrain or the stuff in it is substantially changed, the tricks may feel like the same old same old.

Of course it's all hypothetical and unverifiable, and the question for me won't be answered for many months to come. And I'm certain Frogblast (at the very least) will wow me with something amazing and unheard of... and that some crazy fool will blast himself all the way across a level three times as long as Blood Gulch. I hope.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the same?dalecooper 2/3/03 2:38 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the sampaean.doer #PC# 2/3/03 3:02 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samNukey 2/3/03 3:05 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the sampaean.doer #PC# 2/3/03 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samExogenesis 2/3/03 4:39 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samdalecooper 2/3/03 3:07 p.m.
           That was one royally disturbing metaphor, dude. *NM*Expendable 2/3/03 3:10 p.m.
     Cheats are bliss *NM*DeAdLy_cOoKiE 2/3/03 3:11 p.m.
           Re: Cheats are blissopie301 2/3/03 3:19 p.m.
                 Re: Cheats are blissP_40E 2/3/03 3:22 p.m.
                 Re: Cheats are blissoddworld18 2/3/03 5:16 p.m.
                       I can't believe i did thisopie301 2/3/03 6:57 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samAvenger 2/3/03 3:27 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samdalecooper 2/3/03 3:30 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2: hacked or unhacked, will it be the samCount Zero 2/3/03 3:28 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.