Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 2 et cetera...
Posted By: Seņor 404Date: 10/24/02 5:18 p.m.

Halo 2 is not far off. In just one years time you will most likely see its bump-mapped new ensemble unfolding before your very eyes, or delayed for another month. I can wait. I waited "six to nine months" since last December, and it still did not come to PC. What difference will it make to wait a few more months. I can do just fine on my own, with my speculations to feed my expectations.

Though I have not seen the Halo 2 trailer... I am already picking up the frequency of things to come from our friends at Bungie, or should I say a subsidiary of Microsoft that sold its soul for a promised "vast pool of resources". Based on the scarce number of new screenshots, and on a variety of old ones, I have arrived to a vague idea of things to expect.

First, I reflected on the things Halo was SUPPOSED to be, before the PC/XBOX shift. I remember a promise of a Ring World, nestled in the heavens, teeming with LAN goodness and realtime progressive battlefields. It almost became reality. Almost. Unfortunately, Bungie was in the hole, and wasn't sure how they'd get by in the next few years, so they cut a deal with "you-know-who". The rest is Xbox history. Back to the fact at hand, the move from PC to Xbox was anything but smooth. Cuts were made in many areas of gameplay. Many aspects of the game that attracted people to it were done away with. NO online Halo world to fight in. NO vast levels for immense skirmishes. NO environs teeming with indigenous life (or hippos). NO shadow. NO rocket capable jeep. The list goes on and on.

To the best of my knowledge, all these cuts were made to make a great game become a good first part in many more installments. How do I know? Let's observe. The new Sub-Machine Gun? NEW or RENEWED? The Covenant SHADOW? Looks new, but not better. Notice the armor on Master Chief's hands? No? Take a look back at the pre-E3 Chief. Old ideas, held off for later.

What else can we expect? The machete? The light tank? The flame thrower? The...MINIGUN? Don't get your hopes up. Though keep your eyes open. Clues are all around. Like the new concept of those "Space Popes". Small eyes, long neck, broad shoulders...a veritable "holy hunter". The Covenant superiors? Don't be surprised to see a Grunt, Jackal, or Elite Pope.

...still, it is better not to get carried away. Focus should be left on the driving force of the game, Gameplay. Gameplay may also recieve a little fine tuning. MAY being the key word. In light of Halo's dazzling premiere, many people still noticed the awkward controls. Made worse by a bulky controller. This was not all bad, since many things can be mastered with a bit of practice, but the controls/controller were definately an early hinderance. IN the game, some problems also persisted, and will undoubtedly still persist in the sequel. Among them was the fact that the super-soldier Chief was not all that super. Being an enhanced battle unit with prototype armor and incredible processing capabilities, Master Chief had every advantage possible. With the best excuse for a slow-motion bullet-time ability, Master Chief was still as fast, if not slower, than any regular grunt. He can process a second into hours. Why couldn't he do that to save his own sorry ass? And his trusty jeep didn't compensate for much. Sliding around turns, and flipping on a breeze, the jeep's only saving grace [the rocket launcher] was replaced by Master Chief's most needed crowd control tool [the minigun]. What happened? And will it happen again?

Those are my predictions and I stand by them.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 2 et cetera...Seņor 404 10/24/02 5:18 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Neco Divad 10/24/02 5:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Seņor 404 10/24/02 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 et cetera...SilV3RSix 10/24/02 6:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Covenant 10/24/02 6:09 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 et cetera...ferrex 10/24/02 6:56 p.m.
                       EAT THAT BEE-OTCH!!!Master_Chef 10/24/02 7:05 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Ol' Dirtae 10/24/02 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Master_Chef 10/24/02 7:16 p.m.
     uh...Uriel 10/24/02 5:37 p.m.
           Re: uh...Seņor 404 10/24/02 10:14 p.m.
                 Re: uh...Ol' Dirtae 10/24/02 10:58 p.m.
                       Re: uh...Seņor 404 10/24/02 11:13 p.m.
                 Re: uh...Tarrsk 10/24/02 11:08 p.m.
     Shame on you! *NM*Postman 10/24/02 5:55 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Random Hero 10/24/02 6:21 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 et cetera...Louis Wu 10/24/02 6:44 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 et cetera...krazykow66 10/24/02 7:56 p.m.
     *twitch*Shishka 10/24/02 9:30 p.m.
           Re: *twitch*Seņor 404 10/24/02 11:07 p.m.
                 Re: *twitch*NthDegree256 10/24/02 11:36 p.m.
                 Re: *twitch*CD579 10/25/02 6:00 a.m.
                       Re: *twitch*Shishka 10/25/02 6:03 a.m.
                       Re: *twitch*Neco Divad 10/25/02 7:45 a.m.
                             Re: *twitch*CD579 10/25/02 8:47 a.m.
                                   Re: *twitch*Neco Divad 10/25/02 9:59 a.m.
                       Re: *twitch*Seņor 404 10/25/02 5:16 p.m.
                             Re: *twitch**Ar-Isildur of *WP* 10/25/02 7:25 p.m.
     ...reminds me of the halo evolution videoThe Cosmic Muffet 10/25/02 1:16 p.m.
           Re: ...reminds me of the halo evolution videoChris_C 11/2/02 8:37 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.