Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly Review <deanero2001@yahoo.com>Date: 3/29/02 5:05 p.m.

Happy Easter, all!

HBO Weekly Review
Week Ending March 29, 2002

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. Siva (W'rk) writes: "I'd like some Under-roos! Spartan for the boys, and Cortana for the girls! "
    Matt: "There were serious discussions of Oni-roos for the ladies back in the day. We had designs all worked out and a partner company lined up and everything. Maybe we should revisit that idea."

2. Louis Wu writes: "That's all she wrote! Congrats to all who entered... we had a blast! [Maw Contest 2]"
    ferrex: "Patroclus, kudos for having huge sack and one of the slickest runs through the trench I've ever seen. And the "what color is my visor?" punchline, which is probably the funniest thing I've read all week. ;)

CYBRFRK , I'm left wishing I'd put more guys in the level for you to run down. And I wish even more that I'd had your creativity and put in a clever score counter of some sort...

MoNkEyKiNg, you make the run look so easy, so effortless... even had time to watch Foehammer go down and make a mockery of our easter egg "hiding". Joe will be dismayed to see the Food Nipple Grunt killed in such cold blood, though... ;)

And Team 7hr33, thank you for showing everyone my favorite way to experience the trench run: from the passenger seat. I wanted to watch the driver, but I my attention was constantly drawn by the roller coaster ride in the top screen (and later the bottom). Again, though, the Grunt run down even before his big line...

Masterfully done, all. I hope I'll have the opportunity to offer you another, more posing challenge in the future."

3. Chappy writes: "I know 2 player co-op mode is fun, but what about multiplayer games? If Halo multiplayer is anything like other FPS, it's not much fun with just two people... whoever kills the other guy first always has an advantage over the first to die (he has time to recharge & pick up a weapon or ammo while the other guy is respawning with just the basic weapon config). If you're playing with just 2 people, what game configurations do you play to keep things fun for both players? "
    ferrex: "Snipers, to five kills, no motion sensor or anything. Makes for some super paranoid play. Though, I guess this one only works well with a system link, otherwise you get lots of screen looking...

Ideally, Rockets-only Race or Rally on Blood Gulch, with Warthogs. Rockets only makes for some interesting decisions, and Race games tend to work out well between two good players. "

4. Dalan Galma writes: "1) Where is the store right now? Anything in the style of "We're waiting for a few more items before we open it up, but we HOPE to have it in the next X weeks" will suffice, though anything more is always good. ;-)

2) Where are the ports? Before you run in fear, let me just clarify that I'm not looking for a Halo Update sort of thing... I just want to know something like "Some people are making more maps, some people are trying to get the DirectX code to work with different video cards, and there's been discussion on control issues." I know you've said that nothing interesting enough to post is going on, but frankly anything that gives us insight into the progress of the ports is mouth-watering... I don't really care how boring it is, or how vague... I just want something. I'm not asking for weekly updates or anything either. Just a snapshot. "
    Matt: "No dates. Dates are evil. "Totally Fake Imaginary Bogus Guesstimate Date" translates to "Guaranteed Date" in too many minds. Bad idea talking about dates. So I won't.

Store: Getting product samples/test prints, making corrections, getting the corrected run, noticing several new problems (some are our own fault, others are not), repeating as necessary. Adding content to store site. Coming up with new product ideas on an almost daily basis, talking to the store people saying things like "We want to sell a toaster that looks like the Covenant built it; what can you do for us in terms of highly-reflective purple alloys?" Waiting for answers. [cue wretched Tom Petty song]

PC/Mac Halo: I still can't say much. People are working on it. The lawyer crap is now out of the way and the work I'm talking about is real work, i.e. code stuff. Biweekly meetings/progress reports. Those who still think we're lying about PC/Mac Halo should get out your condiments/seasonings of choice, buy some nice china and silverware, and do whatever else you do when you're getting ready to eat your words."

5. Louis Wu writes: "I don't think you ever find that out, but it's the same character," says Seropian. "God, we've never said that before, but it's completely obvious. Cortana isn't in Marathon, but there are three AI's in there that came from the same stylistic storyline." "
    Matt: "I discussed this quote with Alex just a moment ago, and he provided some additional insight: "I don't really know the truth about anything. I was just talking out my ass." "
    Louis Wu continues: " If I were Matt, or anyone else at Bungie that actually has to deal with fans, I'd be cringing right now. "
    Matt: "Eh. I was more worried about that "PC/Mac Halo on permanent hiatus" bit. It's printed in a magazine, so it must be true, right? "

6. Hethal writes: "What I hate about this is that we're TOTALLY in the dark. We don't know if we'll see it next month or at the end of the summer! Such horrible mind games! "
    Matt: "If you were going to see it next month, I would have said as much by now. I'm not trying to mess with anyone's head. Quite the opposite. I know it's been a long wait and it's not over yet. I understand why people are anxious and upset. When we can make definitive, detailed statements, we will. Until then, silence is golden. For what it's worth, I've known about Halo since the project's inception, long before it was announced to the rest of the world, and I'm still excited about the Mac and PC versions. "

7. CYBRFRK writes: "Holy Harddrive Batman....why do these guys store this info? Even my site is archived -- HERE "
    Flawless Cowboy: "Mine too! http://web.archive.org/web/19980430165735/myth.gamestats.com/knot.html"

7. This Side Up writes: "Is it possible to have a Halo level designer because I've been drawing in Auto CAD a design. Hopefully I'll finish so I can work on a few more before Spring Break ends. So I'm wondering has anyone discussed this before? Is it possible? Can it be done on the X-Box? I beleive "Tony Hawk" has a level designer so why not Halo."
    ferrex: "*keeps a serious face*

Sorry, Halo level designers are not for sale at this time. Perhaps once the Store is up and running."

Wu is me!

1. "Sucks to be mortal."

2. "Look, Lionel Ritchie... the rest of the constructs around Halo are obviously designed for creatures like us - feet below heads, walking. "

Loph-ty Ideas

1. "oh... and what's this? 5 toes on each foot?! Will the discoveries never end?!?!"

Flood of Interesting Stuff
protexts writes: Strategy tip, LONNNG, please provide input *SP* - Fighting the Flood on Legendary: Using Patience and the Open Spaces Behind you to Your Advantage

Trey Ikon writes: Blowed up real good *SP* - Just seems that as the final cutscene depicts, there are now several huge chunks of Halo floating around thye galaxy, ferrying god knows what to god knows where...

FrogBlast writes: Okay... Holy $%!# - You just have to see it to believe it.

It was a stark and dormy night...ummm..oh well, Halo fanfic entries this week

1. Sarge submits three pieces of work: Banserki's Journal (Part 1) , Banserki's Journal (Part 2) and Banserki's Journal (Part 3)

2. Corbantis submits: The Tides of War Part 2 "Unforseen Alliances" Chapter 5

3. Tursas submits: Effusion - Chapter 1; Awakening

4. The Wraven submits: Halo: Siege of the Rings Chapter 1: Beta Gabriel

5. Steven Crowley submits two pieces of work: Halo: Protect the Homestead Chapter 1 and Halo: Protect the Homestead Chapter 2/3

6. Velker continues the saga with: Halo 2: The Forerunner Chronicle Part VI

7. Shadow continues the saga with: The Renegade Marines Part VIII - The Return To Memories

8. Ryan continues the saga with: Well Enough Alone Part II: Arrival

Off the Mark
Parias posts Video Editing Advice - How Do You Pros Do It? - Another good thread about video editing. Worth a look.

Quotes of the Week
"It's 11:45 PST - Do you know where your moms are? " - Psyrixx

Trolling Through the Park One Day...
And the Award for Flame Retardant goes to...

fLaMePrOoF - "The PC to the Mac is what the umberella is to the mackintosh; both help keep you dry, the unberella just does it better and is more popular (plus people who wear macs are commonly derided as wierdos...)"

Well, seems like he's also sMaRtPrOoF as well...

How to be a Jerk in Co-op

(New submissions!!!)
    1. "If you use the plasma rifle against the flood, and you are... say... 30ft ahead of your friend... the flood usually fall, but do not die, as a result of the plasma rifle fire. (This is assuming you stop firing at their bodies after they fall down.) So as your friend is following you, suddenly all the flood you shot down should pop up to say "hi" to your co-op buddy." - FrogBlast

2. "Let your buddy ride the elevator halfway down, then hit X to bring it back up. Your buddy will promptly slip through the floor of the elevator and fall to his death." - Warbow

3. "kill your coop-er while you are in a banshee. when you fly, you are going too fast for them to respawn. now to really stiff them, land at the highest point possible or better yet crash into a high wall. when you crash, your speed will be low enough that the person respawns in midair and will fall and fall and fall. repeat as necessary." - Tirion of *WP*

4. "Wait until you Co-op buddy is standing on glass over the enemy. Shoot the glass and send your partner down into the middle of them. Then don't forget to says "Oops sorry" - Warbow

5. "Spend all your time breaking glass, don't worry about any enemies. You must run around hitting every piece of glass so that you hear the breaking sound. Don't kill anything, it just takes time way from your glass breaking. Do this until your partner either screams at you or just walks up behind and smacks you in the head. Either way at that point you know that you have become a Jerk." - Warbow

6. "My younger brother and I play Halo alot and he is 3(he has learned the controls very well) Well last night we played GS level and while the glass and the gernade ideas are good try this. When crossing the first bridge (not flashing) above a large group of flood and covenent get across first the deactivate the bridge with your partner on it. My brother did this to me and it =bleep=ed me off. I eventually was pulled to him by a check point and introduced him to the back end of my shotgun. Something similar can be done on AoTCR get to the elevators first and go down, Either you slow down your buddy (death is imminent then) or you kill them because they jump after you. (the elevator looks closer than it seems and it keeps moving faster than you can fall)." - Lt. Marx

7. "When your partner is being chased closely by infection flood (or anything else for that matter) Say "I've got your back!" and, instead of shooting the badguy down, toss a plasma 'nade onto the pursuer. The alien chasing your friend will become a homing grenade... your friend will promptly smack you." - FrogBlast

8. "This annoying trick involves using the checkpoint/loading areas of Halo and works better if you are playing legendary. Hang back near a checkpoint, wait until your co-op buddy is fighting an elite. When he/she finally has the elite's shield down, back up and trigger his/her return to your location. Generally, by the time he/she returns to the fight, the elite's shield are recharged. Keep doing this repeatedly. This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don't forget to say 'Oops, sorry!' " - Warbow

9. "The setup: make sure that your partner is driving the warthog, you should be the gunner. You should not have a marine riding shotgun. Wait until your partner is driving toward a large group of Covenant. This part takes timing, you must wait until right before the hog is within range of the covenants weapons. Bail out, if you time it right, your partner will not realize that he has no gunner until it is too late. Hopefully there will be several jackals with over charged pistols to take out his/her shields and several elites to finish him/her off. Now comes the tricky part, you must act casual. When your partner asks "Why?" You respond "What??....I'm shooting them" while you firing a few pistol rounds in the general direction of the enemy." - Warbow

10. "Also, (especially when playing coop against the flood), should your buddy happen to die, toss a fag grenade onto his body (when he's not looking!). Thus scattering his weapons so to make him go through an aggrevating search and recover if he wants that Shotgun again.. " - pete_the_duck

Newbie Corner:
FAQ's are great!

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Search functions are great!

Halo is coming for Mac / PC soon!

Message Index

Replies:

HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 3/29/02 5:05 p.m.
     Hurray, I'm popular! *NM*Parias 3/29/02 5:36 p.m.
           who are you?*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 3/29/02 6:22 p.m.
                 Back off, buddyParias Protector 3/29/02 6:31 p.m.
                       Re: Back off, buddy*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 3/29/02 6:35 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewDjof 3/29/02 7:58 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.