Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly Review <deanero2001@yahoo.com>Date: 3/22/02 11:31 a.m.

HBO Weekly Review
Week Ending March 22, 2002

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. Louis Wu writes: "Maw 700 Contest 1: Complete!"
    ferrex: "The progression of this contest was a lot of fun to watch...

And to think that I thought 2:30 seconds might not be enough time to get from the elevator to the extraction point... sheesh.

Well driven, Frogblast, and kudos to everyone else who proved me hopelessly pessimistic. "

2. Ryan writes: "Maybe Ph.D is just dumb? lol"
    ferrex: "I think maybe you're misreading his post.

"Halo has been criticized for some of its level design. Check out the articles at Gamasutra that speak to this topic."

Halo has indeed been criticized for some of its level design. Having given that context, he's then directing people to the article for their edification, not saying that the article contains a critique of Halo's level design. Thanks for the link Ph.D, good reading."

3. TitaniumPez writes: "im just curious as to why an actual XBOX rep would say such a thing.. "
    Matt: "Not to be nit-picky, but all we really know is that a guy you work with said that an EB clerk said that a guy who claimed to be a Microsoft rep said it. Not the sturdiest foundation for a rumor.

Besides, if we did have such a project in the works, Microsoft would be shouting from the rooftops about it, especially if they thought it would ship in the near future. But they're not, and we've always said that we're not planning or developing a Halo 1.5 project, and I think that ought to be good enough at this point. ;-)"

4. ApolokiA writes: "I was just playing, and one of the marines in the SC said it whilst killing a Jackal. could it be that it's when they kill Jackals (Jackal being a type of dog?) "
    Marty the Elder: "We gave a big ol' pile of lines to each actor to read and then asked them to improvise whatever came into their heads. Pete read the line "Who's your daddy?" and after a couple of funny versions came out with "I would've been your daddy but that dog beat me over the fence!"
    It soon became one of the most beloved lines in the game but I've never heard it since, although Jay has. You have to have Sgt. Stacker with you and everything has to go just right when he kills a covie. It's one of 24 things he might say. "

And Jay the Younger pipes in: "heheh someone finally heard it! As Marty said I've heard it once in game in something like 12 months of playing. There are some real gems in Stackers speech ... do your best to keep him alive if you get him. Keep in mind if you want to hear the marines talk a lot play through on easy as they stay alive significantly longer than any other difficulty. Funny that this came up today as I am currently poking through speech to look for funny stuff for Butcher to possibly use in his presentation at GDC... I sometimes forget how much the marines make me laugh..."

5. Aginor writes: "Its pretty much useless for me having a NTSC Box here now. I would like to ask them to release a disk that updates the tags/build in the NTSC Version of the game, and changes the listening port. (and can change them back again)

Otherwhilse it would suck total ass, It cant be that hard I can play any PC game on a lan with anyone from anywhere, WHY change stupid tags and ports???

Sorry, just slightly dissapointed in that, Halo's still great but now I cant play LAN and I'm sure as hell not buying another one. Dammit. "
    Matt: "Okay, I need to explain the differences between NTSC and PAL Xbox Halo because there are some serious misconceptions about what we did and why. Some people seem to think we made PAL and NTSC versions incompatible either as a sneaky, half-assed method of region-locking or perhaps just because we could, and that we actually invested time and energy to cripple net play when it would have worked fine if we'd left it alone. None of this is true.

Those of you who have edited Myth maps will be familiar with the concept of tags. A programmer could come up with a better description of what tags are, but my quick and dirty layman's definition would be "objects that contain and/or reference game data and variables." The Master Chief's running speed is stored in a tag. The speed of the Warthog is stored in a tag. Lots of things are stored in tags.

When we started work on the PAL version, it ran much, much slower than its NTSC counterpart. Basically, Halo always assumed it was running in NTSC (updating 30 times per second) which meant that under PAL (updating 25 times per second) everything took longer. Much longer. So we had to manually adjust the tags, basically compensating for PAL slowdown by making certain things faster.

The problems between NTSC and PAL Xbox Halo stem from the different tags. Because many of the tags we changed are so fundamental to the game (the running speed of the Master Chief, for example) any NTSC-PAL Halo game would go out of sync immediately. We figured it would be less stressful for all concerned if we changed the ports used for multiplayer so PAL Xboxes would not let NTSC Xboxes into LAN games (and vice versa). At least that way no one says "I can join the game, therefore there must be a way to make it work. Let's spend several frustrating hours trying to resolve the problem."

Syncing the PAL tags with their NTSC counterparts is not an option; doing so would impose a 20% speed penalty on the PAL version, which we'd already decided was unacceptable. I suspect dropping the PAL tags into an NTSC version of the game would result in similar speed issues.

Yes, this is a less-than-ideal situation, and yes, future Bungie games will probably be less NTSC-centric. :-) "

Aginor writes: "maybe include both versions on the disk so most tv's here in europe are 60Hz too, that we can play with them with our imported US boxes. "
    Matt: "Unfortunately, this is a situation where we're not going to be able to make everyone happy. We're not going to revise Halo to make the NTSC and PAL versions interoperable. We'll do our best to avoid this issue in future titles, but we're not going to rework the one we just shipped. "

6. Firfin writes: "PAL version to 60 Hz jerk! MATT ? - Where from comes the problem ?"
    Matt: "It comes from Halo rendering two frames at once. The game is updating at a different speed than the TV."

7. Adrian O'Grady writes: "If you were able to make PAL 50Hz work with PAL 60Hz, why couldn't you have made at least the PAL 60Hz mode compatible with the NTSC version of the game? "
    Matt: "For the same reason that a bicycle can use the spare tire from your friend's bicycle, but not the spare tire from your car. There are fundamental differences. The NTSC tags are not the same as the PAL tags."

7. Nijhazer writes: "Sonic Adventure's voice acting is the Cowboy Bebop of gaming compared to Xenogears. "
    Matt: "And How Could We Forget...'Jill, take this lock pick. It might be helpful if you, the Master of Unlocking, keep it with you.'"

8. Louis Wu writes: "It's done... but not for sale yet. [Halo Soundtrack]"
    Gothmog: "Hopefully we'll have something more official to say in the next week or two. These things always take longer than I'd like, but we're pretty close."

9. Bezerk Fury writes: "[Action Figures] Dont think im a child because of this this... just a cool thought... does anyone know if there will be halo toys or models... having a Warthog with MC in your room sounds like a coll idea... if you have any idea about this plez help me"
    Matt: "We almost had a deal with a company to do action figures, but that fell through due to circumstances beyond our control. Legal considerations - as well as a desire to avoid telling long, sad stories - prevent me from saying more. We were this close...

On the bright side, we're now looking for another partner to do that kind of stuff. Long-time Bungie fans will be happy to know that Doug Zartman himself is on the case. "

10. poena.dare #CP#g writes: "I was going through my CD collection and I stumbled across and old Robert Fripp album, Exposure. It has a song on it written by Peter Gabriel called Here Comes The Flood. Halo has given a new meaning to this song: "
    Matt: "Interestingly enough, here's another song called "Here Comes The Flood" by a group called the Divine Comedy with eerily apt lyrics."

Wu is me!

1. "Don't forget, Bungie's out to screw you, every chance they get."

2. "For 3 days, I had to endure endless taunting by him and the bratty little neighbor kid - "I beat daddy, nyah, nyah, nyah..." "How does it feel, Mr. Errera, to get beat by a seven year old?" and so on."

3. "Workin' on a sex farm! Geez, it's good thing my wife's not home..."

Loph-ty Ideas

1. "The moral of this long-winded and pointless story is that these retail schmos only know what the MS reps are telling them... and apparently some of these reps are completely lost and are providing misinformation to their retailers and gumming up the works."

Flood of Interesting Stuff
Warbow writes: Covenant religion - The Covenant must have encountered the Forerunners before they became technologically advanced. Why would you worship the Forerunners if you understood that it was just technology that made them seem like "gods". If aliens were to land on Earth today, do you think people would worship them? No, we would understand that they are just more knowledgeable then us.

thespianjedi writes: covenant, flood, forerunners, etc connection - This connection can be found in the bible, specifically, Genesis 8:11. It reads, "And I will establish my COVENANT with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a FLOOD; niehter shall there any more be a FLOOD to destroy the earth."

The Majin writes: My Covenant Theory (Ryan) - Why the Covenant have such a seemingly non-existant reason for hating your guts.

ThePerfectCore writes: Human history, is it? Fascinating... *sp* - Great. So now we have TABB floating around space, just waiting for a Covenant patrol to happen upon it, and learn the location of earth. Suffice it to say, despite the MC's brave efforts, I think the human race is pretty screwed at this point.

Sampo writes: Forerunner Logo Discovery ... maybe =) - We have all seen the strange circular logos posted all over Halo, right? The marks underground on 343GS, the marks on gold elites' backs, the marks for Red/Blue base in MP, etc. While going through some papers yesterday I found a paper with these printed on the right-hand side:

CYBRFRK writes: Video Creation 101 - A detailed walkthru of what you may need to capture video. Worth a look if you've never done it before.

Leigh writes: Forerunner & Saint John the Baptist - If the forerunner who created Halo where infact precursors to something/someone (or something) who where to come after them, they were infact laying a path or direction for them to follow. The forerunner knew that they were not Gods, they would wait for them to arrive. This could be seen, that either the covenant or Humans could be the desendants of the forerunner; They both find Halo.

It was a stark and dormy night...ummm..oh well, Halo fanfic entries this week

1. Jehkoh submits two pieces of work: Legion and Death of a Soldier

2. Tursas submits: Effusion

3. Ryan submits: End Game

4. Shadow continues the saga: The Renegade Marines Part VI - The Surprise and The Renegade Marines Part VII - The Return Home

5. Ian Barnes continues the saga: Operation False Prophets, Chapter Five: Used Cars Under $1099 and Operation False Prophets, Chapter Six: Killing is Optional (Pain is Required)

6. Black_Jackal submits: After Halo: Chapter 1- Death is Not an Option (But for The Enemy it is)

Off the Mark
FrogBlast posts *OT* FrogBlast's Health *OT* - Wish him a speedy recovery!

Quotes of the Week
"What about armadillos? Ive always wanted to shoot one of those." - Toynit

Trolling Through the Park One Day...
And the Award for Senseless Analogies goes to...

123456789 - "To me, the news that 'Halo was close to the P.C.' is like saying 'A reserected Hitler is close to Israel.'"

How to be a Jerk in Co-op

(New submissions!!!)
    1. "If you use the plasma rifle against the flood, and you are... say... 30ft ahead of your friend... the flood usually fall, but do not die, as a result of the plasma rifle fire. (This is assuming you stop firing at their bodies after they fall down.) So as your friend is following you, suddenly all the flood you shot down should pop up to say "hi" to your co-op buddy." - FrogBlast

2. "Let your buddy ride the elevator halfway down, then hit X to bring it back up. Your buddy will promptly slip through the floor of the elevator and fall to his death." - Warbow

3. "kill your coop-er while you are in a banshee. when you fly, you are going too fast for them to respawn. now to really stiff them, land at the highest point possible or better yet crash into a high wall. when you crash, your speed will be low enough that the person respawns in midair and will fall and fall and fall. repeat as necessary." - Tirion of *WP*

4. "Wait until you Co-op buddy is standing on glass over the enemy. Shoot the glass and send your partner down into the middle of them. Then don't forget to says "Oops sorry" - Warbow

5. "Spend all your time breaking glass, don't worry about any enemies. You must run around hitting every piece of glass so that you hear the breaking sound. Don't kill anything, it just takes time way from your glass breaking. Do this until your partner either screams at you or just walks up behind and smacks you in the head. Either way at that point you know that you have become a Jerk." - Warbow

6. "My younger brother and I play Halo alot and he is 3(he has learned the controls very well) Well last night we played GS level and while the glass and the gernade ideas are good try this. When crossing the first bridge (not flashing) above a large group of flood and covenent get across first the deactivate the bridge with your partner on it. My brother did this to me and it =bleep=ed me off. I eventually was pulled to him by a check point and introduced him to the back end of my shotgun. Something similar can be done on AoTCR get to the elevators first and go down, Either you slow down your buddy (death is imminent then) or you kill them because they jump after you. (the elevator looks closer than it seems and it keeps moving faster than you can fall)." - Lt. Marx

7. "When your partner is being chased closely by infection flood (or anything else for that matter) Say "I've got your back!" and, instead of shooting the badguy down, toss a plasma 'nade onto the pursuer. The alien chasing your friend will become a homing grenade... your friend will promptly smack you." - FrogBlast

8. "This annoying trick involves using the checkpoint/loading areas of Halo and works better if you are playing legendary. Hang back near a checkpoint, wait until your co-op buddy is fighting an elite. When he/she finally has the elite's shield down, back up and trigger his/her return to your location. Generally, by the time he/she returns to the fight, the elite's shield are recharged. Keep doing this repeatedly. This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don't forget to say 'Oops, sorry!' " - Warbow

Newbie Corner:
FAQ's are great!

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Search functions are great!

Halo is coming for Mac / PC soon!

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.