Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS*
Posted By: thebruce0 <g.may@thebruce.net>Date: 11/8/12 10:47 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS* (scarab)

: What does native to our species mean?

By her phrasing, she essentially 'accelerated his evolution', meaning she didn't really "add" anything to him, implying she simply helped his genetics along, so any changes that resulted were already a part of his genetic makeup. Perhaps "native" isn't the proper word, but unless this thing about John being a unique species, or whatever (eh?), then I don't think it's wrong to infer that what she did would ultimately apply to humanity as a species over a much longer period of time.

: Populations evolve, not individuals. And she can only make changes that don't
: rely on development because the Chief is already an adult. His development
: happened years ago. But given health packs and the wonderful things that
: they do, I will concede that she could make many of the changes even
: without altering his genome. She could fake the developmental changes.

Except by her wording, she guided his natural evolution... she didn't sound to me like she did anything that wouldn't have happened at humanity-scale over an evolutionary-time-scale.
Which is why her wording to me didn't really make sense, with the implied actions she took on his genome.

: If L: had given the Chief genes for a chimp face then he wouldn't have a
: chimp face because he was already an adult. Well not unless she coded in
: the ability to develop one as an adult. I suppose that is possible and
: would take time to manifest. Which might help story wise.

But if L: had given the Chief genes for a chimp face, she wouldn't have simply accelerated his evolution... If she did, then she's implying that she's externally guiding human evolution in a god-like fashion towards a purpose, as if she created the human genome and controls our ultimate destiny. That's not canon, right? :P

: I just think that, due to indifferent school education, many people form
: their ideas of evolution from popular culture. And we have seen that this
: leads to a vicious circle were education suffers because people reject
: evolutionary theory because they have an incorrect understanding of what
: it is and how it works.

: The Halo story is big on destiny and teleological thinking maybe I should
: just go with the flow here even if it makes me grit my teeth :-)

heh, yup there's plenty about evolutionary theory and people's general (mis)understanding of it that makes me grit my teeth :-)
So her phrasing that she accelerated his evolution really just confuses things and raises more questions about our, and the Chief's, genetic makeup and the Librarian's role in Human destiny. :P Methinks they just threw in 'evolution' as a buzz word, cuz it sounds cool for "giving him a mysterious power or ability he didn't already have (or hadn't realized) and attributing it to human nature/ultimate destiny".

The only thing that would make sense with her wording is that the Chief already had the ability she 'unlocked' in him. Which means he'd already "evolved" the ability (since evolutionary changes don't occur individually, but over generations); so would he have 'unlocked' that change in his lifetime otherwise? If so, is it really "evolved" more than simply "unlocked"? grr, the wording bugs me!

Wait, it was punctuated equilibrium? Then, what she did may have introduced the change (which he didn't already have), in his own genetics, having sped up a 'chance' sample rate over say eons to a few seconds, until the required evolutionary change spontaneously occurred? John is a super lucky guy, remember!

Also, the "I hate DNA magic" subject line - sums up my thoughts about that scene :)

http://halo.thebruce.net

Message Index

Replies:

A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*iForge 11/7/12 9:06 a.m.
     Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*The Loot 11/7/12 9:14 a.m.
           Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*Hedgemony 11/7/12 9:23 a.m.
                 Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*thebruce0 11/7/12 10:29 a.m.
                 Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*LostSpartan987 11/7/12 10:57 a.m.
                 Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*VAVA Mk2 11/7/12 8:51 p.m.
           Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*iForge 11/7/12 9:33 a.m.
           Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*Postmortem 11/7/12 9:44 a.m.
                 Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*The Loot 11/7/12 11:13 a.m.
     Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*Velez 11/7/12 9:43 a.m.
           Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*iForge 11/7/12 12:02 p.m.
     I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS*scarab 11/7/12 4:14 p.m.
           Re: I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS*thebruce0 11/7/12 6:07 p.m.
                 Re: I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS*scarab 11/7/12 8:12 p.m.
                       Re: I hate DNA magic. *SPOILERS*thebruce0 11/8/12 10:47 a.m.
     Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*VAVA Mk2 11/7/12 8:35 p.m.
     Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*uberfoop 11/8/12 3:23 a.m.
     Re: A campaign question. Kind of. *SPOILERS*JDQuackers 11/8/12 8:26 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.