Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

teaser Galaxy Map underway
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 2/8/12 8:27 p.m.

OK, this was mentioned in a post a few minutes ago and was mentioned a couple of times before, but for about a year I've been working on a map of the known Haloverse. I'm unsure of presentation at this point. A bunch of jogs would be boring. It contains all known Halo star systems plus several nearby-to-us real stars for a total star count of 116 so far.

- The sizes of the stars are not scaled to one another.
- The size increases with absolute magnitude.
- The single circles are single stars, a ring around a circle is a binary system, those cut into more are multiple star systems.
- The star colors are indicative of their place on the H-R diagram.
There is no third dimension here; this is a top-down view. The distances are correct from Earth to the star. The stars are properly angled from Earth based on their galactic coordinates. (This means the stars to one another are not necessarily the correct distance visually as we're ignoring what's above and below the plane of the map surface.)
- The center of the galaxy in this map is the towards the top of the image.
White text are stars of Haloverse canon, green represents UNSC/human, light blue text is Forerunner, orange is Covenant, and purple text is for other real non-Haloverse stars.
- Concentric circle grid marks 5 light year increments.

I've based my modeling system on some past work I did as well as borrowing from Geoffrey Mandel's amazing Star Trek: Star Charts book out several years ago. I think that covers the basics, but I'll answer questions if I missed anything pertinent.

Anyway, this is one of the many, many projects I dabble in when you don't see me actually playing Halo. I'm a busy, busy man and I still don't have enough time to do it all! :)

A small sampling of my Halo galaxy map:

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 8:27 p.m.
     O.OZackDark 2/8/12 8:57 p.m.
           Re: O.OStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:10 p.m.
                 No GPU?ZackDark 2/8/12 9:16 p.m.
                       Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 10:02 a.m.
                                   Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 11:42 a.m.
                                         Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 12:05 p.m.
                                               Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 1:54 p.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwaySeraph XXVII 2/8/12 10:21 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 5:40 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 6:50 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 7:02 a.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 8:01 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDragonclaws 2/9/12 6:25 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:35 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayZackDark 2/10/12 5:09 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 5:39 p.m.
                                   Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:44 p.m.
                                         Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 7:55 p.m.
                                               Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 9:45 p.m.
                                                     An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/10/12 10:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 9:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/11/12 11:52 a.m.
                                                                       Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 12:24 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.