Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMGs*
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 12/2/11 1:53 a.m.

I'm back with more views from outside the places we like to play on, and this time it's all about the mutliplayer maps that came with Halo Anniversary, also available (along with a Firefight map) as the Anniversary map pack.

Solitary || Ridgeline || Battle Canyon || Breakneck || High Noon

I'll start with Penance because I have the least on it. This is because I wasn't able to completely get out of the map (this was the case with at least one other map too, but it really makes a difference here). You can get out of it as much as I did by downloading this film file and detaching the camera after my monitor-self blows up, and preferably pausing the playback too so you have time to move around and look at things.

Despite the limits, I did get this picture by floating above the map. This is what you can see looking through the windows at the back.

Unggoy-city

I'm assuming it's some sort of Unggoy city (hence the filename).

For this and all the rest of the pictures, if you open it in a new tab (which you should be able to do by right-clicking the picture and choosing that option or dragging the picture into a tab or next to a tab), you'll see it full size. (I mention this because each picture has its width set to 100% via HTML, which on the multiple versions of Chrome and Firefox I've tried it with makes it the same width as a post and scales the height, so as not to overwhelm the screen, but the details can get scrunched.)

Solitary was a little different too. At first I wasn't sure I'd need a teleporter, but just going out the window didn't seem to cut it, and then I wasn't able to push a teleporter out, so I had to make the "simply fly out" method work. Fortunately, by going fast enough and being careful with the camera detachment, it's pretty easy to break out of this prison. To replicate this on your very own copy of the film file, which you can get here, I recommend pausing the film just after the monitor leaves the window, detaching with the Y button, and slowly inching the progress forward with the right trigger while using the left stick to stay near the monitor. If you do that, when it explodes you should have no trouble at all going up and over the last section of invisible barrier to roam around the map (and again you'll want to pause, of course).
fake edit: I just tried some more and I was able to push a teleporter far enough out through the window in the "Ground Floor Viewing" area (which I just realized is a ridiculously inaccurate name, it's nowhere near the ground). I also found out the strange dark area with weird lights I made a video of can be clearly seen by going to the middle of the map and looking down. (._.)

This is what the place you just left looks like from the outside.

Main-Solitary-tower

I live in a prison of my own design disguise....

Three or four of the towers nearby are what I assume is the idealized, albeit lower-detail, canon version of the one the play space is in.

Far-Solitary-tower

You spin me right 'round baby, right 'round....

The rest are 2D.

2D-Solitary-tower

There are 14 in all, and yes, I got that from Halopedia, but I also counted them myself to make sure.

I thought the bottom of the main tower looked pretty interesting.

Under-Main-Solitary-tower

So I took a picture of it. Witty and/or pithy comment goes here.

Up next is Ridgeline, which was also unusual in that I was able to get out just in the process of pushing a teleporter out. I was happy to find out that like Forge World there's a fairly sizable area outside the map proper that has no name or kill volume (which is where I ended up in pushing the teleporter out). There are a lot of good opportunities for pictures out there and I'm sure there are other people on here that can do better than me so I just grabbed few and provided the film file to make it a little bit easier.

Ridgeline-ethereal-mist

The space outside the map is filled with a rather (no pun intended) atmospheric mist; it reminds me of Quarantine Zone.

Way-outside-Ridgeline

That little area in the middle? That's the entire playable space of the map.

So I also poked around on Battle Canyon, and then didn't come up with a good segue. The saved film file is here.

Battle-Canyon-and-then-some

That little area in the middle? That's the entire playable space of the map, and this time it's also most of the 3D objects.

There's relatively good potential for pictures on here, as you can probably see above. While I was out there I noticed a few odd things. The first might be an attempt at irony or humor or just being unexpected.

Battle-Canyon-rainbow

In the midst of battle, in the middle of the desert, there's a rainbow. Is that deep or just weird?

Double-background

For whatever reason, there's a translucent rocky background in front of the opaque skybox rocky background, but still well outside the playable area of the map.

Weird-hole-by-Battle-Canyon

There's also this hole. There doesn't appear to be anything in it or anything special about it, it's just... there, being puzzling.

This one was already a little broken, I guess, judging by the name. The saved film file of me getting out of Breakneck is here. If you didn't realize already, this film file should show, if you have a little spatial intuition/imagination, that this remake takes place right near Uplift Reserve.

Breakneck-odd-building-back

I think this was supposed to be broken glass or fire or something and most of the information got stripped.

Breakneck-odd-texture-wrap

Here we've got the... whatever it is that produces the fake interior segments... going up a building and wrapping onto the top, producing fake vertical rooms. It seemed funnier when I found it. >_>

It also doesn't show the effect as well as it could, but I wanted to provide visual context so people could find the building on their own, and I didn't want to use another picture to do it because it would take up more room without being that useful on its own, and because I'd already taken three before because the obscenity filter doesn't like the word "texture". >:|

Breakneck-Nygren

An on off chance I noticed this for the first time. The sign seems vaguely familiar, but was that company name always there, in Headlong? Does anybody know what it means?

Breakneck-white-box

I also found another one of these. This one was small and white and had no collision (I could pass through it).

Last but not least is High Noon. The film file for this one is right over here. This is another map ripe for picture-taking, and I encourage you to get out there and do some. It's also ripe for video-making, but unfortunately there are six maps and standard file shares have six slots, so the one I made will be up at a later date.

High-Noon%2C-all-of-it

High Noon from a distance

High-Noon-outer-platform

a closer view of the platform that extends out into/over the portal generator

It's been nice breaking bad out of maps with for you you guys, here's to doing it again in Halo 4. Until then, GeorgieBob SquareFace, Gripyap, and I wish you good games and happy holidays, HBO.

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMGs*General Vagueness 12/2/11 1:53 a.m.
     Re: Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMGeneral Vagueness 12/2/11 1:56 a.m.
     Awesome stuff man.Postmortem 12/2/11 3:06 a.m.
           VAUGENESS!?nomis78 12/2/11 6:08 a.m.
                 Re: VAUGENESS!?General Vagueness 12/2/11 7:42 p.m.
     Re: Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/2/11 6:40 a.m.
           Re: Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMGeneral Vagueness 12/2/11 7:43 p.m.
                 Re: Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/2/11 11:02 p.m.
     Inspirational.BlueNinja 12/3/11 4:37 a.m.
           Re: Inspirational.General Vagueness 12/5/11 12:54 p.m.
                 Re: Inspirational.General Vagueness 12/5/11 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: Inspirational.BlueNinja 12/6/11 5:29 p.m.
                       Re: Inspirational.General Vagueness 12/7/11 4:14 p.m.
     Re: Ten years is the "broken map" anniversary. *IMGeneral Vagueness 12/5/11 11:35 p.m.
     Nygren Industriesrukizzel 12/6/11 3:06 p.m.
           Re: Nygren IndustriesStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/6/11 3:42 p.m.
                 Re: Nygren IndustriesGeneral Vagueness 12/6/11 4:21 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.