Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guide
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 7/14/11 4:54 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guide (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

: I don't think it's that. I'd have cried RETCON! if 343i changed the two
: Falcon designations to something else. The explanation doesn't have to be
: strictly current US military equivalents and maybe the expansion of the
: designation's meaning isn't the most ideal, but it does have canonical
: presedent and that's what I've been arguing all along. Once established,
: it's set in stone. (With allowances for outright mistakes, but for the
: most part, if you clarify something, don't backtrack on it later...the
: essence of canon).

Think we've gone a bit off-track there, I was just saying I would like to ask someone at Bungie what their own logic behind it was. =p
Not about changing it, just what took them in that direction in the first place.

One could say it is a combination of the US and Russian designation systems.
The first part of the designation coming from the US system of its role (UH) and the second part of the designation coming from the Russian system (For example, the Naval versions of the MiG-29 and Su-27 are the MiG-29K and Su-27K. The K is for "Korabelny" which is Russian for "Carrier".)

Designations in the Halo Universe are all over the place really. Inconsistent to say the least.
Especially with the explanation for the Longsword. That GA-TL comes from the names of the two designers (which is also in line with the Russian way, where the first part of the designation is the design office prefix. "MiG" comes from "Mikoyan-and-Gurevich Design Bureau")

: I agree with the impression the Executor had, I guess I'd have preferred the
: Forerunner Keyship to still be one of the bigger spacecraft and not have
: it be only half the size of the supercarrier.

Ah, but at the end of the day the Forerunner keyship wasn't anything particularly special by Forerunner standards. It wasn't even really a warship, and yet in terms of fire power it single-handedly almost crushed the Sangheili.
The Super Carrier is nothing compared to the Halos or the Ark and let's not forget that High Charity could be considered a ship as well, capable of moving under its own power (or rather the keyships power) which was a pretty massive achievement.

: It did seems a missed opportunity. You do fly in and around the corvette and
: the corvette is seem in very close proximity to it, so there's that size
: comparison.

Of course, that's how I got it. Like I say though, it went right by most people, just like the re-entry pack.
I've had a fair few emails from people disputing my estimate~ =p

Halo 3: ODST "Cinematic" Campaign Playthrough

Message Index

Replies:

Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:31 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 4:40 p.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:40 p.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 4:48 p.m.
                       Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 4:54 p.m.
                             Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 5:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 5:27 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 5:46 p.m.
                                               Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/5/11 5:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/5/11 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/5/11 7:26 p.m.
     Just curiousTDSpiral 7/5/11 6:11 p.m.
           Re: Just curiousCaptainTony 7/5/11 6:19 p.m.
                 Ah, I see. Thanks! *NM*TDSpiral 7/5/11 6:36 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/5/11 7:20 p.m.
     Had it for a few days nowSl'askia 7/5/11 10:49 p.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual Guidevociferous 7/5/11 11:09 p.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/6/11 6:31 a.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideDEEP NNN 7/6/11 6:51 a.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideCaptainTony 7/6/11 11:43 a.m.
     Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 6:39 a.m.
           Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 7:02 a.m.
                 Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 7:23 a.m.
                       Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 12:26 p.m.
                             Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/14/11 4:54 p.m.
                                   Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 5:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideGeneral Vagueness 7/14/11 5:24 p.m.
                                               Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/14/11 6:43 p.m.
                                         Re: Just checked out the Essential Visual GuideBry 7/15/11 5:34 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.